Internet Explorer 7 Startup SLOW - Connecting... (Fixed)

Discussion in 'Windows' started by jimcpl, Jun 16, 2009.

1. jimcpl

jimcpl

Hi,

I just got an AOD150-1322 (early Father's Day gift :)), and one of the things that I found that was really annoying was that when IE7 starts, the default tab would show "Connecting..." for quite a long time, and you couldn't do anything with IE7 until that got done. I came here searching for a solution, but I think that I just figured it out.

What I did was go to Tools -> Enable/Disable Add-ons.

There were a bunch of add-ons enabled, and I went through and disabled them one-by-one.

After doing that, it looks like the various Mcafee add-ons were what was causing the problem.

I'm not sure if you want to do this on your machine, but, anyway, just an FYI, in case anyone else has encountered this.

Jim

jimcpl, Jun 16, 2009
  2. jimcpl

NORMAN85

Maybe its just me but ive never found internet explorer to be fast or even relatively quick in any aspect ...so ofcourse i went through the hoops ...and was happy with firefox for awhile ...but after its constant updates and crashing i moved on yet again ..im currently using google chrome and i can honestly say its the fastest browser ive seen yet ...i mean i thought opera was fast but it doesnt really work with everything ..im just saying that internet explorer is bloated garbage and it seems firefox has taken the same path although the numerous addons can be helpful ...essentially for browsing, google chrome has been my favorite since it came out its light and there is no bull ..slight learners curve but i bet if you went from internet explorer to google chrome you would be astounded as to the speed increase ...either way thats my opinion google chrome is fairly new so i still use firefox for viewing tv shows on abc and fox websites as chrome isnt compatible with their players yet so i keep firefox around just for that. Do yourself a favor and try out chrome i highly doubt youll regret it ..install is fast and it works perfect on xp with the acer aspire one...goodluck

NORMAN85, Jun 19, 2009
  3. jimcpl

Forone

Everybody needs IE in some form to download Windows and/or Office Updates (Active X) but you'll find the IE8 upgrade is very worthwhile - it's much faster than IE7. I also use the add-on IE7 Pro (which works with IE8 as well) for some good enhancements:

http://www.ie7pro.com/

Forone, Jun 19, 2009
  4. jimcpl

NORMAN85

I got rid of it altogether and use open office ..quite the powerful freebie but once again this is just my opinion.

NORMAN85, Jun 20, 2009
  5. jimcpl

Forone

Fine if you don't have Office documents that are too complex for conversion or you don't need to share with others. I still work with spreadsheets and some Word templates initiated and built up since the 1990s.

Forone, Jun 20, 2009
  6. jimcpl

NORMAN85

Oh office is wonderful i have it on the quadcore desktop but for my lil acer i just stuck with lightweight but I agree its a wonderful and quite powerful program.

NORMAN85, Jun 20, 2009
  7. jimcpl

jimcpl

Hi,

FYI, as I mentioned in this other thread:

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=15572

I had some other "slowness" problems, and ended up deleting Mcafee, and things seem to be fine.

FYI, re. Firefox, that was also slow when I had the out-of-box Mcafee suite installed. Now things are good with both IE7 and Firefox (and other apps as well).

Jim

jimcpl, Jun 22, 2009
  8. jimcpl

Doxigrafix

I have to say that I love Firefox, and the main reason why has to be AdBlock Plus!

It is SO nice to not be bombarded with all the stupid advertising silliness on just about every page!

I use Internet Explorer only for Microsoft things, and for the few unenlightened websites that don't work with anything but that.

Doxigrafix, Jun 28, 2009
Ask a Question