Internet connection

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by garry, Nov 3, 2008.

1. garry

garry

I recently purchased a linux based Acer Aspire One netbook. After about a week the internet connection icon on the bottom of the screen greyed out and I wasn't able to connect to my broadband at home. The Network icon in the main screen also would not respond when clicked on either. I took the netbook back to the store where they claimed that my problem was not covered by normal warranty as I must have a virus and it would cost €50 for them to restore the machine back to its factory settings. They were unable to say what the virus was.

Can someone advice from thier experience if the problem I am experiencing is in fact a virus. If so will restoring the machine back to its factory settings delete the virus. How can I complete this resetting myself. What virus software is recommended for Linux Machines.

Garry

garry, Nov 3, 2008
  2. garry

Duncan_Rowland

I'd check to make sure the wifi on/off button hasn't got slid... (It's of the front and easily done - if the orange light next to the satalite symbol of the front right is off, that could be your problem. Just slide it once to the right to turn wifi back on).

Personally I doubt the problem is a virus, the store you got your laptop from sounds both clueless and unhelpful. It is possible that the problem is hardware related, and it doesn't sound like they know enough to check for this.There are very few virus for Linux, so I would not recommend any anti-virus software, just that you make regular backups of your work.

If it's a software problem, resetting to factory will sort it, it's pretty straight forward if you've ever installed as OS (the CD should have come with your aspire along with instructions for doing this - more details on these forums too). But IMHO this is a bit of an extreme solution (and you will need to backup any data you care about first). Might be simplest to try and sort it out instead... Do you know how to open a terminal? If so, you could post the result of dmesg here.

-Duncan.

Duncan_Rowland, Nov 3, 2008
  3. garry

garry

Duncan,
    Thanks for the comment. The wifi slider is set with the internet connection on but it doesn't enable my internet connection. The Acer came pre-intsalled with software and didn't have a backup cd. Unfortunately I don't know what opening the terminal means.

Garry

garry, Nov 3, 2008
  4. garry

Duncan_Rowland

To get to a terminal, click
    Files->My Documents
    and then in the window that appears
    File->Terminal

If you copy and past the result of
    $ dmesg
    and
    $ ifconfig
    I'll take a look.

Duncan_Rowland, Nov 4, 2008
  5. garry

Tamrac

Not covered by warranty due to a virus? That's stupid. The odds of getting a virus on Linux is very very slim. And to only affect your wifi? That's even worse. Either you have a bad wifi card, or you need to upgrade the drivers. As what most linpus users have done since the orig drivers are flaky at best. Connect your ONE using a wired connection. I'm sure your home router still have wired ports right? This should get you connected, and see if there are updates available.... good luck bro.

Again, the virus thing the store told you is utter BS! These are the crap they tell novice users. And we pay these people money. Tsk tsk.

Tamrac, Nov 4, 2008
  6. garry

garry

Duncan/Tamrac
    I left the netbook in with the store at the weekend before I posted the query. After a prolonged argument I had agreed that if they could demonstate a virus I would pay the fee. Within 15 mins of leaving they rang my mobile to say they had reset the machine and it was now working therefore this was proof I had had a virus. I asked what the virus was called but they didn't know nor did they have a log record. I haven't gone back to the store yet but was first checking my suspicion that I was geting a line of BS. Don't want to let the f....rs away with it.

The forum is very useful though. Next time I think I'll take the easier route and take the technical advice on offer. Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks,

Garry

garry, Nov 5, 2008
  7. garry

Duncan_Rowland

IMHO, these guys are playing you for a sucker.
    My advice, get your money back if you can and buy from someone more reputable.
    Perhaps you (or an anonymous friend) could post the shop's name so others can avoid it.

Duncan_Rowland, Nov 5, 2008
Ask a Question