Internal Mic Fix for XP

Discussion in 'Windows' started by jonljacobi, Dec 19, 2008.

1. jonljacobi

jonljacobi

Sorry if something like this is already posted, but I didn't see it...

I wish I could describe step-by-step what I did to fix my internal mic under XP, but to be honest I can't remember precisely. However, I'd gone through something similar with my Aspire 5920 and had an idea something like this could do the trick. It went something like this.

I downloaded the WDM_211 HD drivers from RealTek. I installed these. No difference. I uninstalled them, then had device manager scan for hardware changes.

I installed the HD drivers again, then explicitly updated the drivers from the directory and this seemed to actually change them to 2.11. Still no dice. I uninstalled them again and downloaded and installed the latest AC 97' drivers (A406 I believe) from RealTek (I'm thinking this might have been the key--perhaps somehow the mic is wired via those specs). I then reinstalled the HD drivers and this time, when I went to Control Panel\Sounds and Audio Devices\Input Volume and upped the volume and checked the "Select" box, voila--lots and lots of gain on the mic input. This is after turning the mic on and up with the Realtek mixer.

I'd try stuff in this order:

got to http://www.realtek.com/downloads/ and download the latest AC 97 and HD drivers.

1. Uninstall all audio drivers.
    2. Install the AC 97' drivers.
    3. Install the HD drivers.

Let me know if it works for you!!!!

Cheers, Jon

jonljacobi, Dec 19, 2008
  2. jonljacobi

lohtse

Not tried it as mine works fine... I suspect that the problem people are having is more to do with the version of XP as I have install tinxp on to 3 machines and numerous colleagues and friends have install the same and none of us have had any problems what so ever.....

anyway thank you for posting you fix hopefully will help others.

regards
    Andrew

lohtse, Dec 19, 2008
  3. jonljacobi

jonljacobi

Definitely a software issue, but this was XP from the Acer install disc so... 10 to one they fixed it on later install discs/bios without saying anything.

By the way folks, this was with BIOS 3305. I just moved to 3309.

Cheers, Jon

jonljacobi, Dec 19, 2008
  4. jonljacobi

robandjeanne

Thanks Jon. By the way, I tried an XP AA1 in Costco and the built in mic worked, so the problem is not universal. I've tried fixing the mic so many times I wanted to make sure I understand your post.

"I installed the HD drivers again, then explicitly updated the drivers from the directory and this seemed to actually change them to 2.11. Still no dice. I uninstalled them again and downloaded and installed the latest AC 97' drivers (A406 I believe) from RealTek (I'm thinking this might have been the key--perhaps somehow the mic is wired via those specs). I then reinstalled the HD drivers and this time, when I went to Control Panel\Sounds and Audio Devices\Input Volume and upped the volume and checked the "Select" box, voila--lots and lots of gain on the mic input. This is after turning the mic on and up with the Realtek mixer.

I'd try stuff in this order:

got to http://www.realtek.com/downloads/ and download the latest AC 97 and HD drivers.

1. Uninstall all audio drivers.
    2. Install the AC 97' drivers.
    3. Install the HD drivers."

I noticed all non-Linux Realtek drivers were version A406 but I assume you meant the all Windows drivers (including XP) which apparently are available in either zip or exe versiion from Realtek. By this I mean you did not use or download the RealTek Media drivers?

When you say uninstall all audio drivers, the only audio drivers I see in control panel, add/remove are the Realtek HD. Do you also have to uninstall the AC97 drivers? If so where are they?

When you install the Ac97 drivers do you restart the AA1 afterwards like you are prompted to do with the HD drivers? With the Realtek HD drivers are you using v 5.10.0.5628 or v 5.10.0.5700?

Thanks

robandjeanne, Dec 20, 2008
  5. jonljacobi

archangel

Thanks Jon. But my mic is still not working after following your fix. I have no time to return my AA1 because this is actually a gift I bought for my wife this Christmas! :cry:

Can you please share more info on how you fixed yours.

archangel, Dec 22, 2008
  6. jonljacobi

info

Thanks for taking the time to post that Jon, it very well may come in helpful.

info, Dec 22, 2008
  7. jonljacobi

robandjeanne

Acer's only response to the deaf mic problem is to do a complete system restore thus wiping out all programs you installed. If the built in mic doesn't work from the restore position send the AA1 back. Not too helpfull if you have about 20 programs on your AA1.

robandjeanne, Dec 22, 2008
  8. jonljacobi

archangel

I agree. After they told me to do system restore and have the same problem after doing it, i was told to have my machine checked by one of their technicians to see if I have a faulty mic. That wasn't the reply I was expecting considering that I bought my AA1 because of its HDD capacity + built-in webcam + built-in mic combo. I just don't have the time to return my machine to them... I guess I'll be seaching the internet again and again to find a fix. If you find one that works with you please share it in this thread.

archangel, Dec 22, 2008
  9. jonljacobi

robandjeanne

If I find a fix, I definitely will share it here. I believe the fix does involve removing certain audio software. I can't figure out how Jon who started this thread deleted AC97, but he believes that was the key to fixing his AA1. AC97 refers to audio codecs by Realtek and you can actually download the AC97 package from Realtek. However, I don't see AC97 listed anywhere so I don't know how to remove it, The only place audio codecs are listed is in the device manager as part of the audio package, and they don't give an option to remove it. So if Jon reads this I hope he can educate us on how to remove AC97. By the way, the Realtek HD audio package is easy to remove either from device manager or control panel.

Did you say you did a complete restore on your AA1 and still did not get the mic working? That is most helpful because I was thinking it would be one way to restore the mic, but then I would have to spend a lot of time reinstalling all the software I put on my AA1. It is quite possible one of the programs I installed interfered with the built in mic. Another post about the mic suggested downloading the Realtek HD Audio from Realtec.com. Then completely removing HD using control panel. When AA1 is restarted it should say it found hardware (the audio) and needs to search for software. Cancel the search, go to the package you downloaded and install. Then restart. I tried this process when I was in a car waiting for someone, and the mic started working. Unfortunately the next time the AA1 was turned on, no mic. So I saw my mike work once, but I can't seem to repeat this process. However, if this process works for you, make sure to force the system restore to save all AA1 conditions. That way if it ever stops working you should be able to go back. Also, you can tell all of us what the register settings are that allow the mic to work. In fact if anyone has an AA1 with working mic, posting you reg settings might be most informative.

robandjeanne, Dec 23, 2008
  10. jonljacobi

KillerStephen

Bios 3305, Mine works fine out of the box.

KillerStephen, Dec 23, 2008
  11. jonljacobi

robandjeanne

Too bad all of us aren't having the deaf mic problem, because then someone would probably fix it. I tried restoring my aa1 to the day I bought it, and the mic still didn't work. Therefore it doesn't seem any of the programs I added caused the problem. Acer won't help, son it's up to us to solve it. As I understand it some linux and lots of xp have thye deaf mic, is this right?

robandjeanne, Dec 29, 2008
  12. jonljacobi

azz2811

my internal mic works just fine all i had to do is go to the volume properties and turn the mic volume up and then it worked now worries

azz2811, Dec 29, 2008
  13. jonljacobi

raffaele

My internal mic works only with wdm_r197 drivers an only if i have rthdcpl.exe launched.
    No luck with any others divers......... :shock:

Edit: correct driver is WDM_R178

raffaele, Dec 29, 2008
  14. jonljacobi

robandjeanne

Do you have to go through a process each time to get rthdcpl.exe running? Was it just trial and error that led you to WDM_R197 HD drivers? When you installed the WDM did you totally remove the original HD drivers using control panel, reboot, reject the search for sw, then go to the WDM_R197 find setup.exe in that package and install, then reboot? Sorry for the long winded question but the process of removal and installation may make a difference. Thanks.

robandjeanne, Dec 29, 2008
  15. jonljacobi

raffaele

Sorry for my mistake, the correct drivers are WDM_R178, i have read about it elsewere in this forum

yes, if i want the mic to work, probably because i have nothing in autostart, even the realtek icon in system tray

Of course i have performed the requested steps :!:
    I have tried also with a fresh xp installation.......
    Some drivers (now i don't remember which version) worked only if i disabled "cancel echo" in control panel, but the mic had very low gain (of course, before you ask for it, i checked "boost mic gain").
    The latest wdm_r212 doesn't work at all (both input and output)

raffaele, Dec 29, 2008
  16. jonljacobi

ccbrianf

Yes, I found the same, also because I have all those Realtek startups disabled.

I also found that manually running rthdcpl caused an additional Realtek process to start (I'm at work without my AA0 right now and I don't remember the name). Even after killing both of those with the task manager, the mic still worked after the initial rthdcpl run. This was with wdm_r211.

Agreed. I've been trying to fix it. So far, without success.

ccbrianf, Dec 29, 2008
  17. jonljacobi

ccuina

If still facing issues with mic on XP, please see additions to this post http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7595

I was experiencing "deaf mike" on one of my units and solved in ~30 mins. Note in Realtek HD app, mixer tab, need to make sure mic is selected, and with enough volume (halfway suffices).

Hope this helps.

BTW:I have two "supposedly identical" A1s, although one of them came with 160GB HDD (instead of 120 GB). Also featured Suyin CCD, instead of LiteON. That unit (model 150-1006 built 0810) was the one having issues, the other one worked right out the box (model150-1786 built 0809)... I've found at least a couple of users had same issue with earlier config, still trying to solve.

ccuina, Jan 3, 2009
Ask a Question