Internal hard drive failure and recovery

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by raicemongeorge, May 5, 2013.

1. raicemongeorge

raicemongeorge

Hi,
    I bought an Acer laptop recently. One day suddenly it has broken down showing an error message 'OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND' when i try to start up the laptop. As BIOS doesn't detect my hard drive anymore, i assume that the internal 500 GB hard drive is failed. Unfortunately right before it's failure, i have transferred a massive amount of important data from my external HDD to the laptop to replace my external hard drive with something else. Now i am lost. i have never expected a fresh hard drive to fail such a way. i am dying to get my data back. please help.

raicemongeorge, May 5, 2013
  2. raicemongeorge

something back

To double check that it is a harddrive failure press F2 on power up. Look in the BOOT section of the motherboard section and see if your harddrive is listed. If not you need to download a small program called SUPER FDISK Download super fdisk from this link Then copy it on to a cd http://www.freewarefiles.com/search....1.x=11&B1.y=11 This program will help you to setup and format your new hard drive. from within the program choose create then choose format it's as simple as that.

something back, May 6, 2013
  3. raicemongeorge

raicemongeorge

Thank you for your reply.. i have tried to do as you advised. but the SUPER FDISK doesn't detect any hard drive on my computer

raicemongeorge, May 6, 2013
  4. raicemongeorge

something back

Yes it's a new harddrive that's required sorry to say. It's very easy to replace one. Use SUPER FDISK to setup your new harddrive when you purchase one.

something back, May 6, 2013
  5. raicemongeorge

Adamo

The OP already copy some files to the hard drive, it will not need to format it like you said. To the OP, verify the connection for the hard drive, if nothing coming loose.

Adamo, May 8, 2013
  6. raicemongeorge

Nestone50

As I understand your original post, you are concerned about your personal data that you fear is lost due to the apparent hard disk failure. Suggest you replace the hard disk (under warranty as I understand your computer to be nearly new) and make sure you maintain possession of the old hard drive. Once your laptop has been restored, I suggest you obtain an USB adapter, similar to something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter-Converter-Optical-External/dp/B000YJBL78
    Connect the old hard drive via the USB adapter to your now functioning laptop and see if you can find your data. It's likely a sector failed on your hard drive that contained parts of the Windows operating system. However, you most likely will be able to "read" your data assuming the platters within the old hard drive are still spinning.

Nestone50, May 21, 2013
Ask a Question