Intel Wifi 5100 Wireless N conrfirmed working

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by fuzz, Mar 31, 2009.

1. fuzz

fuzz

The default Atheros card in my AAO died recently, I think it might have overheated but I'm not sure. Anyway, instead I picked up an Intel Wifi 5100 Wireless N mini-pcie card off ebay for £13.
    Installation involves removing the keyboard and top side of the case (read one of the RAM replacement guides and just stop before you have to take the motherboard out). The wireless card is just to the right of the touchpad, attached to the top of the motherboard. It's actually easier to get to than the RAM.
    After I installation Ubuntu 8.10 picked it up and worked with no problems, even the LED works (personally I prefered it off). I've not had a chance to test it on 802.11n yet but on our g network it seems to get better reception than the old card.

When I was looking for a replacement card my googlefu couldn't dig up much info on compatible cards so hopefully this'll get indexed and help someone else out.

fuzz, Mar 31, 2009
  2. fuzz

rikbrouwer

Nice! Good find, thanks. Can you confirm it's working on N networks yet?

rikbrouwer, Apr 7, 2009
  3. fuzz

fuzz

Ahh, not tried it yet (I only know of one person with an n network at the moment). I'll update this if/when I get a chance to test.

fuzz, May 21, 2009
  4. fuzz

zed

Thanks for the info, I bid for one on ebay, got it for less than £8 ;)

zed, May 26, 2009
Ask a Question