Installing Windows over network?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Edge, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Edge

Edge

Hello

Has anyone tried installing XP/Vista over a network with the network boot option? If yes how do you do it?

I messed up the HD by mergin partitions on my XP ONE currently Dling linux restore disk to see if I can fix it by booting off of Ipod that way. I installed XP earlier with the Ipod cause my ONE was in chinese but I had to launch the install from the operating system it wouldn't work booting off the Ipod. (I understand only Vista boots this way)

Any advice on how i can install a OS again would be appreciated, I only get the Acer boot screen and a blank screen with flashing cursor atm :(

Edge, Sep 2, 2008
  2. Edge

beepbeep

beepbeep, Sep 2, 2008
  3. Edge

Edge

Edge, Sep 3, 2008
  4. Edge

adamsaulnier_inactive

The only way you can install a version of Windows over a network is to use Windows Server 2003 (or 2000) and then use Windows Deployment Services to enable PXE booting to pull the installation files to the laptop.

I've done this before in another environment, but there can be a lot of setup involved if you're only going to do one laptop.

adamsaulnier_inactive, Sep 3, 2008
  5. Edge

Edge

From what I can see my acer already has PXE booting enabled. Its under boot devices: Legacy PCi Network. Problem is it needs DHCP and my router is at my home not the flat. But after the 8th attempt with different programmes and just for luck the third one with the link about thumbdrive above I managed to get a XP Pro install going. 4 hours later i am now typing this from my ONE :D. But I still would like to know for interest's sake if anyone attempts this.

Edge, Sep 3, 2008
  6. Edge

perdurabo

I've installed Windows 2008 on my AA1 via PXE booting with a WSUS server. You need a working LAN driver. You also need a sysadmin fluent with WSUS.

perdurabo, Sep 3, 2008
Ask a Question