Installing WICD on Linpus

Discussion in 'Linux' started by JaegerWulf, Sep 23, 2008.

1. JaegerWulf

JaegerWulf

I've done a search and found some threads that discuss WICD but not how to get it to work. I've done the following (I'll be as step by step as possible, barney-style, perhaps someone will be able to tell me what I'm doing wrong.

-I'm using the Linpus distribution that came default on the AA1. I updated using Live Update.
    -I went to this website to download WICD: http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

-I went to the Download Page and followed it to the Release page here: https://sourceforge.net/project/showfil ... _id=626151

-I downloaded the file wicd-1.5.2.tar.gz to my /home/user/Downloads/ directory.
    -I opened the file wicd-1.5.2.tar.gz by double clicking on its icon in My Files (Thunar).
    -This opened the tar.gz file in Xarchiver.
    -I clicked on the button Extract and extracted it to /mnt/home/Downloads (is this the same directory as /home/user/Downloads ?).
    -I check marked "Extract files with full path" under the Options area.
    -I clicked Extract and it seemed to have worked properly.
    -I opened up the Terminal and went into the directory /mnt/home/Downloads/wicd-1.5.2/wicd-1.5.2 where the extracted contents were.
    -I entered the command "cat INSTALL" and it listed out this text:

-I then entered the command "sudo python setup.py configure"
    -It seemed to run correctly.
    -I then entered the command "sudo python setup.py install" and got the follow:

So! I tried to install Python version 2.5.2 and somehow didn't do that properly and went back and tried to install Python 2.5 (outdated) and didn't do that properly. And I'm stuck.

I have only installed one thing on this computer (and therefore one thing in Linux) and that was Quake 3 that appeared in the program list when I clicked Add and Remove Programs.

I have no idea how to get this program to work. Do you guys know what I've done wrong and how to correct it? Detailed instructions are good as I am very new (hey 'ls' works the same as 'dir' in DOS!!!!) to Linux. I am loving it, but so far I have received 4 seperate headaches and 2 brain hemorages resulting in at least one bloody nose.

JaegerWulf, Sep 23, 2008
  2. JaegerWulf

Phil_Urich

You need the python-devel package; should show up for you in the "Add and Remove Programs" bit (I guess that program is "pirut"?), personally I'm more of a commandline person especially since yum is fairly close to apt-get but Pirut is quite different than the debian/kubuntu equiv of Adept, so I just typed in "sudo yum install python-devel" :)

(if you see yourself using the terminal alot more, I'd recommend trying out something like yakuake, it's an awesome quake-style terminal emulator, by default you just press F12 when it's running and it drops down :) definitely nice with something like the AA1 where you need to conserve screen space).

If you're having problems having the right version of python itself, I don't think I ever actually installed it, but the version in the repositories (ie. the version that yum or Pirut/Add-and-Remove-Programs would install) worked fine for this for me.

Of course I removed it immediately after it installed right for me since I've been using just an updated NetworkManager, heh, but that's besides the point (and maybe not the best idea anyways).

Phil_Urich, Sep 24, 2008
  3. JaegerWulf

JaegerWulf

Phil_Urich, thank you very much! I clicked on Add/Remove Programs and installed Python_devel. I then opened up the terminal and ran the configure and install commands again. It installed properly!

Now I need to get the program to run. In the instructions for the program it mentions this:
    So, any idea on how to restart the system message bus or reload its configuration and how to get the Wicd init script to start up in Linpus boot? I honestly have no idea. I am getting comfortable with using the Terminal, I just need to know the exact command to enter. I also am comfortable about changing directories and seeing whats in each. Just don't know what they do yet (I'll be pushing a lot of random buttons today in my efforts to learn).

Again, thank you for getting me this far.

JaegerWulf, Sep 24, 2008
  4. JaegerWulf

rbil

Services (daemons) are started, stopped or restarted in the /etc/init.d directory where the various scripts are for these services.

Look at what's in there:

ls -l /etc/init.d/*

To restart the service:

sudo /etc/init.d/messagebus restart

Cheers.

rbil, Sep 24, 2008
  5. JaegerWulf

JaegerWulf

Thanks a lot for the quick reply! I'm currently working to update my my Network Manager ( viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1028 ). If that doesn't work, I'll go back to trying to install Wicd. If I do go back, I'll let you know how it worked out.

JaegerWulf, Sep 24, 2008
  6. JaegerWulf

JaegerWulf

Well, I updated Network Manager, but it still couldn't connect to my university WiFi. So I went back to install Wicd. It installed properly, but it will not run. I've done everything the directions say to run it and even have tried to run it directly. I even took it to a good friend that has been using Linux religiously for several years now (is a graduate student and works in the EE department at Texas Tech). He couldn't get any of it to work (including establishing a wpa_supplicant.conf file manually). So! I gave the damndest best try that I could. Off to that crappy, but usable OS of Windows...

Thank you all for your help, Linpus, or the third party software that I need, just doesn't work. And if it does, its taken far too many days and heartache to get it to work to be worth it. I'll deal with spyware...

JaegerWulf, Sep 25, 2008
  7. JaegerWulf

eks

Ok, so I've found out that to restart the message bus service you need to type:

Code:
    sudo /sbin/service messagebus restart
    Now wicd runs. But it doesn't find any network. The old network manager was still running, and showing up the wifi networks. So killing it with:

Code:
    killall nm-applet
    DOES NOT do the trick. I've tried adding wicd to the xfce4-autostart-editor, but it was already there and I couldn't edit it. And neither find the entry for the network manager.

I've also tried, from this page:

Code:
    chkconfig --level 0123456 NetworkManager off
    Which basically is the tipping point for me: Acer Linpus is broken. On the weekend I will be installing something else. It might work for the basic simple configuration it comes with it, but if you want to USE it, you have to install a real OS. Be it Windows, Ubuntu, Fedora, or other linux distro.

At least buying it with Linpus is a very quick and easy way to avoid the MS tax.

eks

eks, Oct 13, 2008
Ask a Question