Installing Vista

Discussion in 'Windows' started by GvidoR, Nov 13, 2008.

1. GvidoR

GvidoR

I might go ahead and Install Windows Vista Home Premium on my Aspire One but I want to know a couple of things before I do so.
    1) Will 5.23 GB of space will be enough ?
    2) If I install it will it prompt, which OS I want to boot ? (I've got XP now)
    3) If you use Vista, do you like it ?

Thanks for your help... ;)

GvidoR, Nov 13, 2008
  2. GvidoR

donec

If you are talking about a full version of Vista, then I don't believe it is possible. My Acer Aspire 9300-5005 came with Vista Home Premium and I tried to install a fresh install to get rid of all the bloat ware. The installation process would not work at first because I was attempting to use 10Gb and so I kept enlarging the partition until I found what the installation process would accept and the smallest partition I could get to work was 19Gb's.

donec, Nov 14, 2008
  3. GvidoR

GvidoR

And how about them SpeedyVista's and TinyVista's ?
    Are they any good ?

GvidoR, Nov 14, 2008
  4. GvidoR

scooby222

i have a a150 and have installed home premium full install i have a 8gb cruzer flash drive as a readyboost and everthing works fine but i do think i will put my vlited version of vista on it ie:- take off language pack and the media centre
    but hey well see im loving this little machine just amazed at what it can do

scooby222, Nov 14, 2008
  5. GvidoR

donec

I guess the ready boost overrides the partition size that installation requires.

donec, Nov 14, 2008
  6. GvidoR

scooby222

no i got the 120gb hard drive the cruzer was for installing vista but i ended up using my xbox hd drive to install via dvd not as fast to install but easier for me

scooby222, Nov 15, 2008
  7. GvidoR

gedster314

Don't know how vista is on a small ssd drive. Works great on a harddrive version. Just be sure to install the drivers. It ran fine with 1G. I'm now running with 1.5gigs and a 4 gig ready boost. I like it. Just don't use the media player, get vlc or other lite weight media player.

gedster314, Dec 4, 2008
  8. GvidoR

transfrmr

Gedster,

Have you tested the performance gain from Readyboost on your system? Most sources don't show a significant improvement for anything more than 512gb of Ram (http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2160 and http://www.maximumpc.com/article/featur ... page=0%2C3 for example). I haven't upped my RAM to 1.5gb yet, but I have run some benchmark tests with the 1gb RAM and ReadyBoost both on and off. I'm using a Kingston Datatraveller 400 with 4gb dedicated to Readyboost for these tests, all programs other than the benchmark utilities are shut down.

CPU and Multimedia Benchmarks: CPU slightly lower with Readyboost on (I am assuming thet Vista is using some CPU for Readyboost itself, not really a significant drop). Multimedia benchmark drops with Readyboost on too (again, not horribly, but... I figure why use it if it will decrease performance at all)

I'm interested to know if Readyboost is showing improvements for you, I have been wondering if maybe the Kingston USB stick I'm using is slower than others.

Thanks!

Transfrmr

transfrmr, Jan 13, 2009
Ask a Question