Installing Vista on Win 8 Preinstall - using recovery?

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ElGoorf, Nov 27, 2012.

1. ElGoorf

ElGoorf

Hi all

My office recently acquired an Acer Apire V3 731 with Windows 8 preinstalled. As we are a web development agency, we'd like to dual boot with an older version of windows in order to run older versions of Internet Explorer. We have a copy of Windows Vista Business 64bit available.

However I'm having trouble installing the Vista OS. Step's I did to get here:

1. Using Windows' Disk Management, I shrank the existing C: partition to leave 80GB unused, and created a new partition with the space, formatted with NTFS.
    2. I then rebooted, with disk as primary boot and installed vista from there onto the new partition.

Part-way through the install came the reboot. Booting into "Windows Setup" at the boot manager, I'm greeted with the following:

I no longer have the option to boot from disk, so can't seem to do any sort of recovery, but I can continue to boot into Win 8 just fine. I can see that Windows has started to install in the newly created E partition.

So where do I go from here? I know the ideal situation is to install vista first and then 8, but the laptop didn't ship with a win 8 disk. Is there any way of using the Aspire's recovery partitions as a substitute? We're happy to do a clean wipe if needed, as we've barely used the laptop yet so data loss isn't a problem.

ElGoorf, Nov 27, 2012
Ask a Question