Installing Ubuntu without another computer

Discussion in 'Linux' started by typistelija, Jan 9, 2009.

1. typistelija

typistelija

I currently have this kind of problem. I'm used to Ubuntu and would love to have one in my AA1. However most guides suggest using liveCD in other computer and making that way liveUSB stick. Now this is not possible. I don't have that possibility.
    All I currently have is this AA1, 1G memory stick and wired internet connection. So now I'm asking help. google did not help.

How Ubuntu can be installed without liveCD?

typistelija, Jan 9, 2009
  2. typistelija

typistelija

Yes, unetbootin is a great software. It just have this one dependency in Linux: p7zip-full. Is there any way I could get it work in Linpus? This packet was not in standard Linpus repos.

typistelija, Jan 10, 2009
  3. typistelija

r0k

The OP is asking about Ubuntu on the AAO without another computer. One thing that is not clear is whether they are starting from XP or from Linpus. Assuming they are starting from XP, here is a procedure:

1 - download Ubuntu Live CD 8.10 iso to the SD card

2 - use unetbootin to make a bootable USB stick from the iso you just downloaded (bootable SD card may not work on the AAO but USB stick shows up in the bios boot list)

3 - Boot from the usb stick and pick "install inside windows". When booting from the cd and choosing install inside windows, you actually get a file that is several gig and is a linux boot image on your c drive. Linux is added to your boot menu. Note: This works for 160 gig models if windows the filesystem is fat32 but not ntfs and not for the SSD model. For this to work on the SSD model, you will have to delete some files in internal memory to make room for Ubuntu. I suggest blasting away the MS office trial, McAffee and windows asian fonts. If you have close to 5 gig of SSD free, you should get a successful Ubuntu boot inside windows.

4 - boot to windows one last time and use control panel->system->advanced to make linux your default OS

--------------
    If you don't mind blowing windows away, you could pick "use entire disk for ubuntu" and "manual partitioning" above (you must do manual partitioning to avoid letting ubuntu destroy your windows restore disks). On a 160 gig system, this would be fine. On an SSD based system, you really don't need a swap partition.
    --------------

I used the Ubuntu 8.10 Live DVD to do my final install. It did not contain the option to install inside windows because my file system was ntfs. Oops. I just found this at M$
    You will need partition magic or other 3rd party software to convert the 160 gig ntfs partition to fat32 or even resize it. Sorry. Also, don't allow Ubuntu to take over your entire drive or you will lose the ability to ever put windows back. It turns out there is a 5 gig windows partition at the beginning of your 160 gig that contains a restore partition. Leave this alone and just blow away the c: partition to install Ubuntu. This leaves you the option of putting windows back should you ever need to. (not sure why you would but I left mine there).

For manual partitioning of a 160 gig AAO, I suggest the following:
    leave the 5 gig windows partition alone
    add a 1 gig swap partition
    add a 500 meg partition and mount it at /boot
    add all the remaining space and mount it at /
    this leaves windows there should you ever need it again (no cd's come with the 160 gig AAO).

r0k, Jan 12, 2009
  4. typistelija

r0k

In fact unetbootin offered to download ubuntu for me when I ran it under windows. I forgot about that. I also missed the OP's second post that they were starting from Linpus. But name calling is completely unnecessary and rude.

r0k, Jan 13, 2009
Ask a Question