installing Ubuntu over blocked Linpus?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Fuerst, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Fuerst

Fuerst

Hi friends, any idea whether it is possible to install Ubuntu or any other Linux distribution over Linpus on AA1 with Linpus?

Ihave completely messed up (innocently) my little machoine and are now so frustrated haveing spent so many hours trying to understand it that I simply want to try a different system or finally use Tiny XP

any suggestions?

Thanks so much

Christian

Fuerst, Oct 1, 2008
  2. Fuerst

Andysan

Christian,

You should have a recovery CD in your AAO box - boot that in another PC and follow the instructions carefully to make a bootable USB rescue disk, or i think if you have a USB-CD drive you can do it directly. Alternatively, Mandriva 2009 RC2 and Ubuntu seem to work OK as alternatives.

Let me know how it goes and if you need any help.

Andysan, Oct 1, 2008
  3. Fuerst

RockDoctor

Another workable alternative is the Omega 10 beta https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2008-September/msg00015.html. It's basically a Fedora 10 beta with some extra codecs, and has worked very well for me

RockDoctor, Oct 2, 2008
  4. Fuerst

donec

If you like Ubuntu I advise you to go with Onelinux from onelinux.org. Onelinux is Ubuntu that has been optimized for the Acer Aspire One. I am using it and the only problems I have found are the suspend doesn't work but hibernate does. Sound for system sound doesn't work but music does. The SD card reader is not hot switchable meaning you have to have the SD card in the slot when you boot or it is not seen. This is without having to make any corrections as it works out of the box as they say.

donec, Oct 3, 2008
Ask a Question