Installing Ubuntu Netbook Remix

Discussion in 'Linux' started by madwoolything, Oct 9, 2008.

1. madwoolything

madwoolything

I have a clean copy of ubuntu 8.04 running in a virtual machine and have tried to install Netbook Remix as I want to investigate this option for my Acer One in place of Linpus.

I've downloaded and installed all the packages from launch pad and have the desktop 'sort of' working ... its very slow.

Q1 - There must be an easy way of installing remix without having to download each package from the web site. I've been unable to find any instructions on how to do this. Any one know? When will this be available in synaptic?

Q2 - Also, I'm not sure I have a complete system as the when I switch to the remix desktop, the CPU usage seems to go to 100% and the machine slows right down and is very unresponsive. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? (Everything is up to date as I've added the source listings to the system.)

I've read some great posts on how good Netbook Remix is, however, I'd like to get this working OK in a VM before committing to installing Ubuntu and then Netbook Remix on my Acer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

madwoolything, Oct 9, 2008
  2. madwoolything

hkalnes

Why don't you just download the ISO and put it onto a USB-stick as described on http://www.ubuntu-eee.com? When you boot it up on the Aspire One, choose the option to try it out without installing. And it works very nice (at least it did for me).

I decided to install it 2 days ago, and I'm very pleased. There are a few issues (see separate thread), but most of them are solved quite easily.

Good luck!

hkalnes, Oct 9, 2008
  3. madwoolything

madwoolything

Cheers ... will give this a try.
    By issues, are your referring to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne?

madwoolything, Oct 9, 2008
  4. madwoolything

hkalnes

I was thinking about this thread: http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4768. The thread you mentioned contains stuff about the standard Ubuntu installation, but most of those issues are solved in Ubuntu eee. But you might find some useful tips there as well,

If you decide to install, remember to select "Manual" when partioning the disk. It's important to select ext2 as disk-format on the SSD.

hkalnes, Oct 9, 2008
  5. madwoolything

madwoolything

Many thanks ..... up and running from a memory stick after a couple of failed attempts .... looks really nice.

A couple of questions (before I install):
    1. Have you managed to get the internal mic working - as I really want to make use of Skype (is this the issue outlined in the ubuntu thread?)
    2. What kind of boot up times do you achieve?
    3. Is hibernation to disk working on your One?
    4. Did you bother with a swap file? How did you partition your SSD disk?

Many thanks again .... it would have taken me a lot of effort to manually set up Ubuntu where this version seems to have taken most of the pain out of the process.

madwoolything, Oct 10, 2008
Ask a Question