Installing Program with files copied, not the Install CD

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by jackdashack, Jan 28, 2010.

1. jackdashack

jackdashack

Hard to put a subject in context on this. I'm sure it's something that all Aspire owners deal with sometime or other. Most programs install from CD, of course! :roll: I have found that a complicated HP printer installed fine on the Aspire by copying the Installation CD files in entirety to the Aspire in an appropriately named dedicated folder and click on setup.exe. Now I have this older but perfectly working Lexmark that I tried the same thing, copy the entire files of the CD to a dedicated folder to the Aspire. When In click on the setup.exe it changes for a nano second to an hourglass but then does nothing. I might venture a guess that it's looking for a CD to install it from.

Is there anyway around this? Another way to do it? I'd sure be thankful if there is an answer. Thanking you in advance. jack

jackdashack, Jan 28, 2010
  2. jackdashack

Forone

The best thing is if you can go the hardware maker's site and download the latest software for the unit from there, instead of mucking with (usually out of date) CDs. I did that for my HP printer - installs all at once instead of installing from CD and then downloading a series of updates. I don't know from Lexmark.

While some CDs might permit doing what you did, others will require that you "rip" the contents to an .ISO file and then use something like Daemon Tools to "mount" the virtual disk on the virtual drive it creates. Again, better way is to see if you can get the latest software from the manufacturer's site.

Forone, Jan 29, 2010
  3. jackdashack

jackdashack

I thank you sir. A simple but practical answer and I should have thought of it myself. :roll:

Again I say thanks! jack

jackdashack, Jan 29, 2010
  4. jackdashack

Forone

Very welcome - hope it solves it.

Forone, Jan 29, 2010
  5. jackdashack

jackdashack

Just noticed your signature at the bottom of each post. I say Amen! Let's do diligence to live all we can to avoid that mindset. :D

jackdashack, Jan 29, 2010
Ask a Question