Installing Opera browser

Discussion in 'Linux' started by hjongste, Sep 7, 2008.

1. hjongste

hjongste

Some people are complaining about Firefox2. It hangs or crashes a lot. So you could install Firefox3, but why not try Opera?
    I have downloaded and installed Opera for Linux (search in Google on Opera for Linux and select the Fedora core 5 version). Installing it is easy but it will not show up on the menu. For the moment just run it from the right click menu (if you have activated this with xfce-setting-show) and type "opera" . Newsweek.com which crashes on my and a lot of other machines runs fine. Later on you can get it into your main menu by tweaking the group-app.xml file.

hjongste, Sep 7, 2008
  2. hjongste

Guest Guest

Why Fedora 5 ? This Linpus is based on F8.
    FF3 also have problems :)
    Just get advanced XFCE mode and enable right click menu, add there opera menu :)

Guest, Sep 7, 2008
  3. hjongste

4li5t4ir

In the Opera download the Fedora 5,6,7,8 are the same option.

4li5t4ir, Sep 7, 2008
  4. hjongste

jango

Can somenone help me

I want to have Opera icon on Linpus Desktop, and i can get it... :cry:

jango, Sep 7, 2008
  5. hjongste

Guest Guest

Guest, Sep 7, 2008
  6. hjongste

Elllipsis

It is actually quite simple to add Opera to the menu...

1. After installing Opera on your AA1 simply open the right click menu.

2. Click on the menu editor

3. Click add entry

4. Keep it set as a luancher, name it Opera or whatever you want, the command is "opera"

5, To add an icon just click on the "no icon" and choose "image files" from the bottom of the drop down menu. Just find an icon like this one from google image search: http://www.my-baby-shop.com/source/imag ... a_icon.gif

6. Just drag and drop the new icon beside "browser" is in. you can now "hide" the browser icon if you prefer to.

Alternatively just replace the "browser" by replacing it's command with "opera"

Elllipsis, Sep 14, 2008
Ask a Question