installing from an External Drive

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by THEQ, Jan 20, 2010.

1. THEQ

THEQ

Is it possible to load Windows 7 from an external DVD drive ? I've tried changing the boot sequence to USB drive, but it just hangs and then finally loads the OS on the hard drive. There are a million explanations on how to boot from a thumb stick but nothing for a an external drive.

Also how many recovery disks come with the computer ? I have two. After loading the first disk it asks for the 2nd but it seems i might be missing disk.

THEQ, Jan 20, 2010
  2. THEQ

Swarvey Moderator

I installed mine from an external DVD-RW without any hassles. I am running an AAO D250 and not sure if that makes a difference. Just make sure you have D2D recovery disabled in the BIOS and you should be good to go. Also if you don't mind getting rid of the Acer recovery partition then u can just use CTRL+SHIFT+F10 in the setup program, and use the DISKPART tool to CLEAN the drive of all partitions, then let Windows 7 setup the partitions as per normal.

* Change primary boot device to USB-CD
    * Disable D2D recovery
    * Boot from your external disk.

Swarvey, Feb 6, 2010
Ask a Question