Installing Firewall and Anti-Virus

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by ke35ch, Jul 15, 2008.

1. ke35ch

ke35ch

I about to purchase my Acer Aspire One this coming Friday and was thinking of installing ZoneAlarm as my firewall and AVG 8.0 as my anti-virus program. What kinds of firewall and anti-virus programs would you guys recommend for the Acer Aspire One?

Thanks

ke35ch, Jul 15, 2008
  2. ke35ch

Guest Guest

What OS will you be using on your One?

Guest, Jul 15, 2008
  3. ke35ch

ke35ch

I hope that Windows XP is available

ke35ch, Jul 15, 2008
  4. ke35ch

Guest Guest

The HD version certainly comes with XP installed, so any of the standard AV / Firewall options are available.
    Avast is an alternative AV program, and there is of course the installed XP Firewall.

Guest, Jul 15, 2008
  5. ke35ch

Kev50027

I like Avast more than AVG, seems less taxing on the system. You sure you really need the XP version? You don't have to worry about AV or firewalls much with Linux.

Kev50027, Jul 15, 2008
  6. ke35ch

Duke

What about the Linux version?

Duke, Jul 16, 2008
  7. ke35ch

Flaterik

For Linux system the anti-virus isn't essential. Every thing you do , the system ask you for a password. If you take a virus, to be dangerous, must be accepted the password that it ask to do something. If you type a password for a virus, it's right that you take the virus. For linux ther are a small number of linux,

Flaterik, Jul 16, 2008
  8. ke35ch

lotus49

For a Linux system it's not even useful, let alone essential.

I am biased, being a big fan of Unix for 20 years, but Windows really is the only OS where AV software is useful. Even on a Mac it's pretty pointless. There are almost no Linux or Mac viruses in the wild so this is the safe route.

If you do want to install Windows (de gustibus non est disputandum) then my experience of AVG has been pretty positive and it has had good reviews for its effectiveness in detecting viruses.

lotus49, Jul 16, 2008
  9. ke35ch

ntanmizi

OMG i dont think you should use anti virus on aspire one it will kill the machine .... its so damn slow with XP installed.... dont know about linux though

ntanmizi, Jul 16, 2008
  10. ke35ch

lotus49

If performance is a problem, it is possible in most AV products to turn off real-time detection. You can then just scan your One once a day or so and having the AV software installed won't have any impact on performance, although it clearly won't be as secure.

lotus49, Jul 16, 2008
Ask a Question