Installing/Booting Another OS

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by SbM, Aug 14, 2008.

1. SbM

SbM

Mac OS X / Xubuntu dual-boot ?

Hi!

I'd like to configure my AA1 with a Mac OS X / Xubuntu dual-boot, but I have no idea how I can do that?

Has anyone configured his AA1 this way, or could provide any help? Thx!

I'm going to get a 30GB 1.8" drive for my One and would ideally like to have Mac OS X on the first partition (20GB or more) and Xubuntu on the second one (10GB or less).

SbM, Aug 14, 2008
  2. SbM

SbM

SbM, Aug 15, 2008
  3. SbM

bingggo

bingggo, Aug 21, 2008
  4. SbM

SbM

Re: iDeneb Installation

I shall be a bit busy over the next few days, but I'll probably give it a try next week. Sounds promising, although I'm a bit sceptic about the wifi stuff... well who knows? ;)

SbM, Aug 22, 2008
  5. SbM

drfroz

I'm going to give it a try in a few minutes, just burning the image to a DVD. Will let you guys know my impressions later :)

drfroz, Aug 22, 2008
  6. SbM

thepyawkt

Please let me know how well that works - if so, can you burn me an image too and I will pay to have it shipped to me? What version of the OS are you going to try? I was thinking like 10.3.9 or something would be good...?

:geek:

thepyawkt, Aug 23, 2008
  7. SbM

SbM

There's no 10.3.9 Intel version available. Your best bet is one of the available 10.5.4 customized distribution. You can download it and burn it yourself, or restore it to an external hard drive that you'll boot the One from. iATKOS works fine here (check out my installation topic in this forum), and I'll try iDeneb next week (hopefully).

SbM, Aug 23, 2008
  8. SbM

sssrs

iDeneb = BOOT ERROR
    iAtkos = OK

sssrs, Aug 24, 2008
  9. SbM

dowhile

Installing Other OS's after OSX

If I go install another OS (Vista, Ubuntu) after installing OSX am I going to ruin the MBR? anything to watch out for? or will the Darwin loader be left alone and allow me to choose which OS to goto?

thanks!

dowhile, Sep 1, 2008
  10. SbM

fletch33

Re: Installing Other OS's after OSX

from personal experience i found it easier to install windows first and then OSX. windows will mess up the MBR and you will have to fix it afterwards. however if you do OSX last then no need to fix anything.

good luck

fletch33, Sep 1, 2008
  11. SbM

boert

Re: Installing Other OS's after OSX

use XFDISK (freeware) and hide the OSX partition.
    After installation use XFDISK again tu unhide the osxpartition and to set it active again
    and you get automaticly the grub "Windows NTFS" bootmenue entry.

the only thing what could be not so easy, is to generate a free primarypartition. This you should do best in the osx installation
    Or even better with Partitionmagic or XFDISK ! And dont use GUID. MBR will be your choice ;)
    Mostly Partitionmagic get's problems if you have created one primary osx partition and you want to resize it.

Be shure to have an working backup .. ;)

Best settingsfor me:
    50Gb OSX
    30gb XP
    rest datapartition with FAT32

cheers
    b

boert, Sep 1, 2008
  12. SbM

zakfontaine

Dual Boot Leopard/XP Tutorial

There are many ways to do this, but this is just how I did it. If you would like alternative solutions you could take a look around the insanelymac.com forum section on multibooting/virtualization.
    Tools :
    An external HDD (If a back up of factory settings is desired)
    External DVD Drive (for iatkos, or follow SbM's tut on booting off an external HDD)
    Iatkos 10.5.4 Install DVD.
    Norton Ghost / recovery cd (or any other back up software that you're familiar with; I think norton has a 30 day trial version you can download)
    Acer Aspire One (I followed these steps on my 120gb model)
    If for any reason your bootloader gets messed up; you can use this folder to manually reinstall it(this is also necessary after a time machine restore) http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=26723

1st. Install Norton on your Aspire One with the current setup. Make a back up. Or you should be able to follow this guide and install windows in step 4.

2nd. Boot into the Iatkos Installation setup. Go to utilities at the top > disk Utility. Make two partitions. You can distribute the HDD by dragging the boxes or typing in the drive size on the right.

First partition - make it Mac OS X Journaled - I named mine "Leopard".

Second partition - name it whatever you want and format it as MSDOS.

3rd. Go through the iatkos installation as per SbM's guide. However, I used the MBR Boot option instead of GUID.

4th. Insert Norton's recovery disc in the dvd drive (or whatever recovery software boot disc you have available). Reboot. Then, restore that image you made earlier onto the msdos partition you made in disk utility. On Norton, you have the option to check if you want the drive active. Check that. Let it do its thing then you will be booting into windows.
    OR
    You should be able to do a fresh install of xp at this point to the MSDOS Partition you made in disk utility then go to the next step.

5th. Now, you will notice there is not darwin bootloader. This is because we need to make the "Leopard" partition active again. to do this Navigate on your start menu to the command prompt. Type in these commands (every time I put >, press enter)

diskpart > select disk 0 > select part 1 > active > exit >

Now you should reboot and be greeted by the wonderful darwin bootloader and select which OS you would like to boot into. Again, select part 1 that I have above is assuming that you created the mac os partition first in Disk utility like I said. Hope this helps!

- Zak

zakfontaine, Sep 1, 2008
  13. SbM

dowhile

Re: Dual Boot Leopard/XP Tutorial

this looks good!

dowhile, Sep 1, 2008
  14. SbM

encaputxat

Any Tutorial with the Linux version?
    Or i'ts posible triple boot? :p

encaputxat, Sep 1, 2008
  15. SbM

zakfontaine

Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to play around with the linux version. I'm sure someone on here has done it though.

zakfontaine, Sep 1, 2008
  16. SbM

batman31

So I did a backup using ghost and now I have 2 partitions with leopard installed on one of them?
    O
    Now what?

Do I have to now reinstall vista using the original factory OS then load norton ghost and do a restore? Is there a quicker alternative?

I have my files/restore on a usb drive - one is a v2i file the other a sv2i file?

Thanks for your help!

batman31, Sep 1, 2008
  17. SbM

zakfontaine

So, you backed up your system with norton to an external Hard drive? Now, you've installed os x on your actually hard drive? Then, boot with the Norton recovery disc in you dvd drive and restore your windows partition to the empty partition you made with disk utility. I don't quite understand where you're lost. I think you're at the step now where you use norton's recovery bootcd to restore the image.

zakfontaine, Sep 1, 2008
  18. SbM

batman31

Here's where Im lost... I backed up my system to an external hard drive. I have no cd? I never got an option to create a boot cd? I have no cd? Just the files that are created in .v2i format from the backup?? Does this make sense?

I now have osx installed on the one in the HD with no other os? (just the partition I created using your instructions). How do i "boot with the norton recovery dvd" if I have no recovery DVD?

Sorry for the confusion and many thanks.

batman31, Sep 1, 2008
  19. SbM

vzmr82

I would like just to share my experience on this subject:

1st step - I had an external USB HDD where I installed a single MBR bootable partition with Windows XP. I had to follow a guide in the windows sub-forum to make an USB HDD bootable and to create a windows installer CD that would install on a bootable USB disk, and it worked (don't remember exactly which thread I read this in). I kept Linpus in SSD, so I had some kind of dual boot: to boot with Linpus, I just have to disconnect the external HDD, to boot with Windows, I connect the disk.

2nd step - I used a partition manager application to create a second partition, with EXT2 file system.

3rd step - I installed iATKOS4i OSX 10.5.4, on the second partition, reformatting it to HFS+. I followed SbM guide (here: http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1505#p10113), just changing GUID partition map with MBR.

Now when booting with the USB HDD, if I don't press any key, OSX boots. If I just press a key as soon as the Darwin bootloader (or whatever it is this Darwin application) appears, and choose the Windows partition to boot, Windows is the OS that boots.

And everything works fine...

vzmr82, Sep 1, 2008
  20. SbM

zakfontaine

Nice..Thanks for adding that in there. I haven't tried installing to an external drive.

zakfontaine, Sep 2, 2008
Ask a Question