Installed W7 and only have 50.1gb of 222gb free

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by BlackSwanYoga, Mar 16, 2010.

1. BlackSwanYoga

BlackSwanYoga

I just installed W7 Home after all the rave reviews about the performace from Vista. Love the speed but I still am at the same HD space I had when I had Vista with all my MP3s, bloated programs, pictures, etc. Except now I dont have Vista, my music, pictures, etc. For some reason it wiped all of those out but still shows that I dont have any space. I installed it on the larger, non 10gb partition, and I also chose for it to delete all my old data. It looks as though it deleted it but it isnt in "My Computer". Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Been out of the PC world for a while and these Netbooks are getting me back in. Thanks so much!

BlackSwanYoga, Mar 16, 2010
  2. BlackSwanYoga

error404

I'm assuming you did a clean install instead of an upgrade. In that case, it would have moved all your files to a folder called Windows.old at the beginning of your hard drive. In there will be a directory called Users and in that folder there will be your user name from Vista. In there you will find your files from Vista. Move those over to the Music/pictures/etc folders on the Win7 side and use disk cleanup (clean system files option) to delete the previous Windows version.

error404, Mar 16, 2010
  3. BlackSwanYoga

BlackSwanYoga

Thank you so much error. That was the case. Amazingness! You are da man!

BlackSwanYoga, Mar 16, 2010
  4. BlackSwanYoga

Eosblue

Just wondering what your definition of a "clean" install is or was in this case? I would assume in this case, it means upgrading Vista with Win7 via running setup from Windows? Is that right? In doing so, I can see how you would end up with "Windows.old".

My definition from past clean installs was to boot to the install disk at which, the process offered a hard drive reformat which wiped all previous data.

Eosblue, Mar 17, 2010
  5. BlackSwanYoga

Swarvey Moderator

With the Win7 Install, you can "clean install" via the disk, but choose to leave your partitions intact. So even "clean installing" this way can still result in the files being backed up to a folder under your primary HDD partition.

The more extreme way would be to erase all partitions, but that will also erase all your data.

Swarvey, Mar 17, 2010
Ask a Question