installed ssd to d250, cpu gets hot??

Discussion in 'Storage' started by vajorie, Mar 12, 2010.

1. vajorie

vajorie

I own an Aspire One D250. I changed its regular 160GB hard disk with an OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD. I copied the old hard drive's content to the new one. I'm using linux, so I used rsync for this. So, nothing new (as per the OS) specific to SSD...

For some reason, the cpu is now running about 10 degrees hotter than before... I cannot find for the life of me why this can be... Any ideas? Google didn't help much...

I found this though, but it doesn't make sense to me at all:
    I monitor my cpu usage and temp via conky, and the cpu does not seem to be used more than before.

Is the SSD obstracting some fan stuff that I cannot see? They are about the same size, except that the SSD fills the whole hdd space provided while the other left a few milimeters for the hdd cover to "click" into place.

vajorie, Mar 12, 2010
  2. vajorie

mizzou_robman

What OCZ model did you install? What model have others installed? I have upgraded the memory to 2Gb.

mizzou_robman, Mar 24, 2010
  3. vajorie

libssd

I think the HDD serves as a heat sink, as I have noticed that when I run my D150 from an SDHC card, with the HDD removed, the underside gets quite warm.

I just ordered an OCZ 30 GB Vertex from Amazon; they have a $10 rebate (more for larger drives) through the end of the month. It was $107 when I ordered yesterday (less $10 discount), but shot up to $115 an hour later. Two used ones are listed at $75 each:

Used - Like New
    Seller: Jerod's Books
    Rating:(19 ratings) 89% positive over the past 12 months.
    I have two of these for sale, bought before I realized my mobo does not support RAID.

I've been running Ubuntu in a 32gb partition on my HDD for the past year, and still have gobs of free space, so I think a 30gb drive will be just fine, especially since I will set it up to use RAM, rather than disk-based swap. No particular reason to switch to a SSD except a lust for speed, and the fact that I often travel by motorcycle, so I've always been nervous about the shock resistance of the spinning HDD.

Excellent (long) tech review of SSD technology here: The SSD Anthology: Understanding SSDs and New Drives from OCZ.

libssd, May 28, 2010
Ask a Question