Installed aMsn and a new VLC: some minor bugs...

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Pierre, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Pierre

Pierre

I'd first installed vlc through the Acer website but it didn't play my AVI files. So I got it through Macles and it's working fine.
    Issues:
    I have two VLC icons on the dekstop, and Fun part of the desktop that shows only allows 2 icons to show instead of the normal 3 :s
    I checked out both icons and they both seem to be the exact same file (vlc 9.5 etc...). Only thing I could find was using the add/remove program. It shows me both vlc versions, but one is called 'core'. Otherwise the file names seem to be the same.
    So I'd like to just get rid of the extra icon (can't figure out if they're different or the same) and to re-establish the three-icon bit of the Fun section of the desktop. And to keep VLC working hehe

I also installed aMsn, and it works just fine but I've got no icon for it. So I'd like to add an icon for it and put it in the 'Connect' section.
    I should have uninstalled the first vlc from the start but I don't know how to.
    Can I uninstall all my vlc files using the add/remove program and re-do all the Macles steps?

Pierre, Feb 13, 2009
  2. Pierre

pms5

I've got the same problem with the VLC icons. I downloaded mine from Macles too.
    I've tried uninstalling it which left me with invisible icons in the 'Fun' section that I couldn't move. Obviously everything wasn't cleared/deleted when I tried the uninstall.
    My next step was to try and reinstall VLC to see if that would sort everything out.
    I've now got four VLC icons.
    It'd be funny if it wasn't so frustrating.

Does anyone have an easy solution for this? Or at least know the right way to uninstall VLC so I can start again with it.
    I'm assuming I can do it with yum, but I don't know enough Linux to work out how on my own.

Thanks in advance.

pms5, Feb 17, 2009
  3. Pierre

pms5

In case anyone was wondering - I sorted this.
    It was just a matter of editing the desktop xml to remove the doubled-up entries.

pms5, Feb 18, 2009
  4. Pierre

Pierre

How do you do this..?

Pierre, Feb 19, 2009
  5. Pierre

Pierre

Figured it out! Stumbled upon the thread which told me about the desktop files, and figured out which one was redundant. I also managed to restore the 'empty' slot by messing with the numbers in front of each applications. Everything went great! Now to find out where Amsn is so I can add it too... grrr...

Pierre, Feb 25, 2009
Ask a Question