Install XP with Linpus already installed

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Motoko.A150L, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Motoko.A150L

Motoko.A150L

I know that the usual recommendation is to install XP/Vista before any chosen Linux distribution but I've got an A150L (120Gb Linux) and would like to keep that install as I've already tweaked it a reasonable amount.

I did a google search and found the following...

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_linu ... _first.htm

...which is great and all but when I navigate to /boot/grub (after "su"ing) there is no menu.lst to backup. There is a whole bunch of other files in there but not the one that the guide refers to. I suspect this is to do with the fact that Linpus is based on Fedora rather Ubuntu and each company prefers a different way of boot information storage.

Can anyone more familar with Linux, and perhaps Fedora, help out please? :)

Motoko.A150L, Sep 11, 2008
  2. Motoko.A150L

rbil

Ubuntu uses Grub and menu.lst whereas Fedora/Redhat uses grub.conf. They both do essentially the same thing. Maybe this article will give you some understanding of how grub.conf needs to be changed to accommodate a dual boot to Windows?

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/grubconf-f ... dual-boot/

Also, you should backup your MBR before playing around:

sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/home/user/mbrbackup bs=512 count=1

This will save your MBR to a file called mbrbackup in your home directory. Copy it and store it off your computer just in case you need to get your MBR back to where it is now.

Cheers.

rbil, Sep 11, 2008
  3. Motoko.A150L

jbird123

Im in the same boat as the 1st poster. So if I follow these instruction, backing up MBR (which ive already done) and remembering to use grub.conf not menu.lst then everything should be fine yeah?

I dont want to, but If I just did a clean install of XP as normal ad got rid of Linux, could I then reinstall Linux and dual boot using teh recovery CD i got?

jbird123, Sep 26, 2008
Ask a Question