Install Win XP from Win 7 via USB Drive??

Discussion in 'Windows' started by alpha752, Jun 24, 2009.

1. alpha752

alpha752

I have an AOD150. It came with XP on it, I installed the Windows 7 Beta then the RC on it. The Beta was great, but the RC is painfully slow. I want to go back to XP, but do not have a USB DVD Drive. To install WIndows 7 was a breeze, I just put the iso on a flash drive and used virtual clone drive to run the install. I tried the same to go back to XP and it wont let me, because there is a more advanced version of Windows already on the HD. I tried this method, http://www.aspireoneuser.com/2008/09/05 ... indows-xp/ , to create a boot USB Flash drive, but it failed on the install.

Anyone have any ideas?

alpha752, Jun 24, 2009
  2. alpha752

PaKelley

I used this method ( http://myeeeguides.wordpress.com/2008/1 ... ash-drive/ ) to make my bootable flash drive with XP setup CD on it and and I have used it to reinstall XP after installing Win 7.

Remember to follow the instructions in the Notes under step 8 dealing with the boot.ini file

It should like like this and if it doesn't correct it:

[Boot Loader]
    timeout=30
    Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [Operating Systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition” /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Note: I have partitioned my drive into 4 parts: 1) OS - 20 to 30 gigs 2) Programs - 10 gigs 3) Remainder - excepts for last 2 gigs which I make into a swap partition. I'm old school and don't like everything on 1 BIG partition - especially my data with the OS! When (and not IF) Windows gets scrambled I just delete the OS partition and then reinstall.

When I reinstall I delete the OS partition and then reselect the free space (from the former partition) and tell setup to use it - it formats the space and then continues the install.

PaKelley, Jun 24, 2009
  3. alpha752

alpha752

Im still having a problem. The USB boots, but after Windows Setup installs its initial drivers and starts to load setup it blue screens. Its a 0x0000007B error.

The XP disc im using is an old one... origional XP, no SPs installed. I cant find any of my other XP SP2 discs. The usb is a 4gb SanDisk Cruizer Micro.

Any ideas?

alpha752, Jun 25, 2009
Ask a Question