Install Ubuntu Hardy (8.04.1) Guide

Discussion in 'Linux' started by WanderingStar, Jul 17, 2008.

1. WanderingStar

glibdud

For what it's worth, those errors are harmless. I've been running that configuration on my EeePC for months without the /var/log/apt line in fstab. Haven't had any issues.

glibdud, Jul 22, 2008
  2. WanderingStar

trop

Well, my internal mic don't work, but an external work. I have the lastest alsa drivers and om alsa-base I just changed the model=acer and it worked after reboot. Internal one still don't work and I'm starting to question myself if it worked on linpus. I just played with linpus about 1 hour, after that I realized that the openoffice is the 2.3 and I needed the 2.4, so I installed ubuntu.

trop, Jul 22, 2008
  3. WanderingStar

WanderingStar

When you say latest Alsa, do you mean from the repos or did you compile it yourself? If you did compile it yourself was it the latest alsa release, or from their version control system?

Also with the alsa you have installed does model=acer cause headphone detection to break? It does with the stock alsa if I recall correctly. Just curious, as making the mic work would make alot of people happy (if not me - I don't care. )
    Jeff

WanderingStar, Jul 22, 2008
  4. WanderingStar

trop

I compile it. The version is 1.0.17 if i'm not mistake. Great question, I don't know if it breaks the headphone detection, I'll try it! Yes it did. I plug the headphone and the internal speaker still plays. Back to the drawing board! Try inserting "model=auto" or "model=toshiba" to test it. I'll do it, but my acer is low on batteries. Don't survive another reboot :( Has I was told, I think the toshiba one makes a kernel panic of some sort. There is another option model=3stack-dig but I don't remember if it works or not.

Just one thing, did anyone tried the internal mic in linpus?

trop, Jul 22, 2008
  5. WanderingStar

dandesigns

internal mic on my acer linpus is not working. please verify as i'm starting to worry if i got a defective unit. thanks. :)

dandesigns, Jul 22, 2008
  6. WanderingStar

egesia

I installed skype on linpus and make a call, the mic is working well, however is good to check the level in the default mixer of linpus. The alsa driver on linpus is 1.0.16-sam8, is there a method to export this driver and import it on ubuntu? what about looking in the acer recovery cd?

egesia, Jul 22, 2008
  7. WanderingStar

stiopa

is ubuntu also load so fast ? i mean boot up time

stiopa, Jul 22, 2008
  8. WanderingStar

trop

Well, the boot time increases a bit for two reasons:
    the first is that ubuntu is not optimized to run on the acer
    the second is the login screen (one of the reasons I changed to ubuntu).

If the version is 1.0.16-sam8, it should be a rpm, so i'll try to make it deb and see if it works ok! Tomorrow I'll test it.

What is the alsa-base file? Maybe we could copy it to ubuntu! Alsa drivers are all the same, only the configuration may change!

Edited:
    there is no rpm for that version. downloading now the linpus lite live cd to see if it's there.

trop, Jul 23, 2008
  9. WanderingStar

egesia

egesia, Jul 23, 2008
  10. WanderingStar

trop

Ok, a few tests made. Using:
    - model=acer external mic works, internal mic doesn't work, headphones detect break
    - model=auto external mic doesn't work, internal mic doesn't work, headphones works
    - model=3stack-dig external mic doesn't work, internal mic doesn't work, headphones detect break
    - model=toshiba external mic doesn't work, internal mic does work, headphones detect break

I'm running out of options here. Any ideas?

trop, Jul 23, 2008
  11. WanderingStar

egesia

On the recovery cd there's an audio.tar.bz2: i think we have to copy some of the files compressed (the *.ko are patches) and extract inside the alsa path in ubuntu.

egesia, Jul 23, 2008
  12. WanderingStar

trop

Another try, if you remove the model from alsa-base, the mics don't work, but the headphones jack works!

Going to try to install the patches.

trop, Jul 23, 2008
  13. WanderingStar

glibdud

glibdud, Jul 23, 2008
  14. WanderingStar

trop

Patching using the audio file from the recovery cd stops the sound, it doesn't detect any soundcard.

And Yes, I've seen that of course.

trop, Jul 23, 2008
  15. WanderingStar

rscutaru

rscutaru, Jul 23, 2008
  16. WanderingStar

trop

Well, I have the model=auto and I can say that I have headphones working and external mic. I was using a lame pair of headphones that's why I told the headphones were broken, now the Sony headphones work like a charm!

trop, Jul 23, 2008
  17. WanderingStar

rscutaru

Did you use the realtek driver?

rscutaru, Jul 23, 2008
  18. WanderingStar

trop

No, compiled the alsa 1.0.17 drivers myself. Internal mic still not working.

trop, Jul 23, 2008
  19. WanderingStar

mattylight

So using this guide, I got HH running on my Aspire one today. However I cannot get the wireless working. I'm very new to working in a terminal, and I'm not sure I did it right. I opened a terminal and copied all the text from the first box here in the forum. The terminal did all kinds of stuff, and eventually stopped. So I copied the second box (these are the boxes in the second install write up). The terminal did all kinds of other stuff, then stopped and said this...

. bash: /etc/modules: Permission denied
    matt@matt-laptop:~/source/madwifi-ng-r3366+ar5007$ sudo modprobe ath_pci

This is what was at the end of the terrminal, and the wireless doesn't work. Any help would be appreciated. Otherwise its great!
    Matt

mattylight, Jul 24, 2008
  20. WanderingStar

sbemail

So I'll explain what the things you are typing in mean (and I'll assume you don't know anything, knowing that you probably know more than I'll explain):
    Code:
    wget [url]http://snapshots.madwifi.org/special/madwifi-ng-r3366+ar5007.tar.gz[/url]
    tar xzvf madwifi-ng-r3366+ar5007.tar.gz
    cd madwifi-ng-r3366+ar5007
    sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo echo ath_pci >> /etc/modules
    sudo modprobe ath_pci
    First line fetches the wifi package you need from the internet. Second line uncompresses it so that it becomes a folder. Third line enters the folder that was just made (cd = change directory). Fourth line installs a means of building the package you've downloaded (apt-get is a utility that can access the repository of ubuntu packages). Fifth line builds and installs the wifi program. (sudo is a thing you write before a command if the command requires root priveliges)

So /etc/modules is a file that lists modules to be started on boot. echo is a command that appends the text before the >> to the file after the >>. It's giving you a permission error. Try this:

Code:
    matt@matt-laptop:~$ sudo -i
    matt@matt-laptop:~$ sudo echo ath_pci >> /etc/modules
    matt@matt-laptop:~$ exit

Alternatively:

Code:
    matt@matt-laptop:~$ sudo gedit /etc/modules
    and add the line

Code:
    ath_pci
    to the bottom

The command modprobe ath_pci adds the wifi module to just the current session, so if you wanted, you could type that in every time you turn on your computer.

Make sure you have disabled the default hardware drivers. Also note that,right now, the only way to know that your wifi switch is swicthed on is if the wifi connection is actually working.

sbemail, Jul 24, 2008
Ask a Question