Install Ubuntu Hardy (8.04.1) Guide

Discussion in 'Linux' started by WanderingStar, Jul 17, 2008.

1. WanderingStar

naudiz

Hey all, had to be said I'm impressed with Ubuntu, and alot of what's been posted here has really helped, but I'm a bit stumped with a couple of bits

Having installed the madwifi drivers and getting the wireless working, I know cannot connect to a wired network, and the wireless never seems to kick in, even after flicking the killswitch, any suggestions?

Also when the wireless was working, it was taking a long time to kick in when I had turned the killswitch

And last thing, the power manager takes a long while to kick in when I first turn on the laptop

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks guys

naudiz, Feb 26, 2009
  2. WanderingStar

will103

Its your USB key. Don't know why it happens, but I have a 4GB one here that has the same problem. Try a different one.

Will103

will103, Mar 1, 2009
  3. WanderingStar

Shai-Hulud

How come the guide doesn't mention anything about ndiswrapper and windows drivers for wifi? I just spent months using the native drivers with less than mediocre performance and frequent network drops because of the really poor performance. I finally had time to install the non-free drivers for ndiswrapper and the performance is worlds better. It should be mentioned in the guide.

Shai-Hulud, May 2, 2009
  4. WanderingStar

bodhi.zazen

To be honest, IMO, 8.04 is out dated. Drivers and kernels are in rapid development and I suggest you will have less problems with Ubuntu 9.04.

bodhi.zazen, Aug 21, 2009
Ask a Question