Install Snow leopard on MBR partition (can dual boot Win7)

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by jerrycrystal, Oct 2, 2009.

1. jerrycrystal

jerrycrystal

This guide is LARGELY based on "simpler installation guide Snow Leopard retail dvd WORKS!!!!", thanks to "erikazra"

The advantage of MBR installation is dual booting SL with other OS easily. ----- I get dual boot by doing nothing (before installation, Win7 is already installed on my machine)

I uploaded all necessary files to http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=918589d88a872ca5ab1eab3e9fa335ca1edb9ae41c2803ed

1. Obtain SL DVD dmg.
    2. Make this dmg writable, and replace "OSinstall.mpkg" with the modified one, to make it installable on MBR based partition scheme.
    3. Restore this dmg to a partition, install SL (run "OSinstall.mpkg") on a MBR partition, we say it SLOSX.
    4. Install Chamelon2 RC3 V658. (We can manually install boot0, boot1h and boot to make sure)
    5. Put "fakesmc.kext" and "disabler.kext" to SLOSX, delete "AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement" (deleting this seems important to be able to boot SLOSX again).

Install below kexts using kext helper

6. Install "AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext" (This kext is not necessary --- thanks to SP1950, but I haven't tried to delete it) and "VoodooPS2.kext"
    7. ! don't install the "RealtekR1000.kext", the boot process will not stop. ---- maybe someone can provide a useable one! Thanks!
    8. Install "AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext"
    9. Install "VoodooHDA.kext" (it is the one in http://code.google.com/p/voodoohda/downloads/list, version is currently 0.2.1 beta)

There maybe problem in repairing permissions, that's fine, I quote others' words:"From what I've read on the Apple support forums, that error is normal in Leopard and SL and doesn't really mean anything is wrong. The advice was to just ignore it."

10. (updated!!!) Graphics: use "AppleIntelGMA950.kext" and "AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext" from pkg "my_graphic_drivers". DO NOT DELETE ORIGINAL "AppleIntelGMA950*.bundle"

The "AppleIntelGMA950.kext" is from "asrikaran", BUT the "AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext" is from my 10.5.6 ideneb installation. I confirmed that I can enable QE/CI only in this way. I don't know why.

I think the most important thing is the com.apple.Boot.plist, the content is

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>Kernel</key>
    <string>mach_kernel</string>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string></string>
    <key>boot Graphics</key>
    <string>yes</string>
    <key>Graphics Mode</key>
    <string>1024x600x32</string>
    </dict>
    </plist>

I suggest to install kexts one by one, and reboot each time, wait minutes if the system SEEMS frozen.

11. use "voodoopower.kext" to enable speedstep.

Update: 10.6.1 upgrade is OK. Simply backup the "AppleIntelGMA950.kext" and "AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext", run upgrade, reboot, re-install the backuped kext, then everything is back.

--------------------
    *broadcom 4311 working
    *QE/CI working (you can check this by setting the menubar transparent, or adding a widget to dashboard)

*realtek network card not working
    *sleep not working

jerrycrystal, Oct 2, 2009
  2. jerrycrystal

SP1950

Re: Install Snow leopard on MBR partition, simple guide

I thought you have to replace both OSINstall.mpkg AND osinstall framework with a patched one to make sl mbr-installable!
    Replacing only the osinstall.mpkg will still give you the same message at the partition selection screen (at least for me on an amd rig)!

And ApplePS2Nub is NOT NEEDED and should be indeed DELETED when using voodoops2controller.
    Also using gma950 kexts from 10.5 is extremely dangerous! (as lethal as using the legacy hda & alc kexts from 10.4/5)

SP1950, Oct 2, 2009
  3. jerrycrystal

jerrycrystal

I really only replaced OSInstall.mpkg to make it installable on MBR.

You are right about the graphic drivers. The gma950 kexts from "SnowGMA" are provided in the thread: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=17376, they are patched, it seems.
    I have ever tried using the 10.5.6 kexts and bundles, the screen shows only black with some lines...

jerrycrystal, Oct 2, 2009
  4. jerrycrystal

SP1950

It's a good news if only osinstall.mpkg is needed to be patched to get mbr-sl working on aoa!
    I haven't try this on aoa, so I am just commenting about by other non-retail installs with mbr drives.
    I'm just saying anyone who still cannot get sl installed on mbr disk should also replace the osinstall framework. :)

SP1950, Oct 2, 2009
Ask a Question