Install Skype under Linpus Linux... from basic mode

Discussion in 'Linux' started by rjm, Aug 25, 2008.

1. rjm

rjm

You dont even need to enable advanced mode, just follow the instructions:

Go to http://www.skype.com in the browser
    Download the version of skype for Fedora 7, and save it to your downloads folder.
    select "open with package manager"
    click "open" and type your password, and confirm a few things, such as "do you want to install this anyway..." etc.
    "software installed successfully"
    hit OK
    click "remove" to delete the package

next step, to put the icon in the launcher area, is easy because Acer actually intended it to be there in the first place, so the text is already ready and waiting to go.

alt-F2
    type "terminal" in the run program box, leave the "run in terminal box" unchecked.
    (the terminal window pops up)
    type "sudo mousepad /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml"
    (editor window pops up)
    in the text file, scroll down to about line 45 and there is a line with "skype" in it, starting with <!--. Delete the !-- part both at the start and end of the line, so that the line begins with <app> and ends with </app>

you'll notice that the skype entry is numbered sequence="4", but there is active line numbered 4 a few lines below. Renumber remaining active (not disabled with !--) items in the group 5,6,7,8 instead of 4,5,6,7.
    save the file
    reboot

You can reorder the icon menu from the desktop, just drag and drop the icon to the new position.

rjm, Aug 25, 2008
  2. rjm

Silver Surfer

rjm - I just tried your advice on downloading Skype on to Acer Aspire One netbook. I got quite a long way with it but it still wouldn't work for me. Some of the things you said would "pop" up never did and even though it was on my download page that is as far as I got. As I have used and downloaded Skype before on windows I thought it would be just as easy, but even a young friend of ours who is very computer literate couldn't manage it, admittedly he hasn't tried your method yet. What am I doing wrong? I would be grateful for any help. As a woman in her late 60's I do try my best but this has me floored.

Silver Surfer, Aug 27, 2008
  3. rjm

rjm

Sorry to hear that, I'm sure its something really simple.

First thing it just to get the hang of the terminal.

Press ALT and F2.
    Type "terminal" in the textbox, without quotes, and leave "run in terminal" unchecked.

(I originally wrote "xterm" and I changed that to "terminal". Both work.)

You should have a terminal window on screen. It might be hidden, so check the toolbar at the bottom of the screen for the minimized window.

Once you have the located the terminal window, then its just a matter of typing in the command to edit the icons file, and then editing and saving the file as described.

rjm, Aug 28, 2008
  4. rjm

fragz

Ok I can get this far.
    It could be that I am running FF3 -- my default app that comes up when I go to download this app is "software installer" which doesn't seem to be working. I get an error message each time:

"/tmp/skype-2.0.0.72-fc5.i586-1.rpm could not be opened, because the associated helper application does not exist. Change the association in your preferences."

I have had a look around in the file tree to find the package installer but am not sure where it is. Does anyone know?
    :oops:

fragz, Aug 28, 2008
  5. rjm

akronbudz

fragz - I got the same problem initially.

To work around it I clicked 'Save' instead of 'Open' which downloaded the rpm into the Downloads folder. Then open the file manager to your Downloads folder, click on that rpm file, and manually select to install it using the 'Software Installer' (may need to right-click to see that option). This installed it successfully and then I was able to move with the rest of the directions.

akronbudz, Aug 28, 2008
  6. rjm

miniman6x

Hi, hope you can help. Got nearly to the end of your suggested installation process but the very last bit about renumbering 5678 with 4567 is really confusing me. I would be most grateful if you could go through this last bit again, stage by stage, so I delete/change/add the right line. Thanks!

miniman6x, Aug 28, 2008
  7. rjm

DavidB

How can I get the icon for Skype to show on my desktop since I installed it under advanced mode? When I go into the terminal to edit the lines as you said and delete the hyphens, ect. they will highlight but the system will not allow me to make changes to it.

DavidB, Aug 28, 2008
  8. rjm

moyners

the install worked perfectly for me, thanks!

moyners, Aug 28, 2008
  9. rjm

Silver Surfer

I am still having problems with the instructions. I have Skype in my downloads. It has apparently been installed as when I go to"open with "Software Installer" it says it is there. The terminal window says "user @local host ~]$ no such file.
    I opened Skype with Xarchiver and I get a window which has a list of Skype details on it but not the numbering as rjm says. Do I "extract" these files or do something else? I am beginning to wonder if I am losing a battle here.

Silver Surfer, Aug 29, 2008
  10. rjm

AlistairKelman

I too am having problems with the numbering at the end of the sequence. My Aspire One has a different code: at the end. When I tried editing it I lost my wireless conneection !!

\AK

AlistairKelman, Aug 29, 2008
  11. rjm

AlistairKelman

Solved it posting.php?mode=reply&f=39&t=1973#
    Download and install the Skype software as previously specified. Then to get at the icon to start Skype open a terminal screen (Alt-F2) , type "terminal" to get the prompt. Then enter:
    xfce-setting-show
    This will open the Settings Manager
    Click on the Desktop folder. This will open to show two tabs. Click on the second one "behaviour" and enable "Show desktop menu on right click"
    Close this window
    Close the terminal
    Close all windows.
    Now on the desktop right click the mouse. Under network you will now find a Skype icon. Click on this to set up Skype for general use.

Enjoy

AK

12. rjm

Silver Surfer

Alistair Kelman I could hug you. You have made my day and solved the problem. I must say the Skype version on it is different from the one I usually use in that there are no such things at the top as "file" "tools" etc but I am not worried as at least I can contact people when on the move. Thank you once again. I guess the "old grey cells" aren't too rusty after all.

Silver Surfer, Aug 29, 2008
  13. rjm

AlistairKelman

Glad to have been of service!!
    AK

14. rjm

atarione

does anyone know if the Fedora intrusion deal...etc ??? is causing any repository flakeyness cause I've been trying to install skype and it fails on dependencies.

alternately can anyone list the repository best added to ensure the required dependencies are available?

thank you very much indeed.

atarione, Aug 31, 2008
  15. rjm

rjm

That's great, you actually had it installed all along, you just messed up the last section. What that part does is put the skype icon in the "connect" group of desktop icons, for easy access without having to have right click enabled.

Let me copy the relevant text from my fixed and working group-app.xml...

Code:
    <group>
           <id>5</id>
           <sequence>4</sequence>
           <directory_file exec="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/blue-bk-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Connect.directory</directory_file>
           <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/blue-bk-large.png</background_picture>
    	 <app is_arrow="1" name="" sequence="0">/usr/share/applications/blue-back.desktop</app>
    	 <app sequence="4" acs="email">/usr/share/applications/AME.desktop</app>
             <app sequence="3" acs="im">/usr/share/applications/acerim.desktop</app>
             <app sequence="2">/usr/share/applications/linpus-web.desktop</app>
       	 <app sequence="1">/usr/share/applications/skype.desktop</app>

<app sequence="5">/usr/share/applications/acerrss.desktop</app>
          	 <app sequence="9">/usr/share/applications/edesktop/googlemap.desktop</app>
    	 <app sequence="6">/usr/share/applications/edesktop/wikipedia.desktop</app>
    	 <app sequence="8">/usr/share/applications/edesktop/webmail.desktop</app>
    </group>

You need to edit the skype line so that it reads like

Code:
     <app sequence="1">/usr/share/applications/skype.desktop</app>

without the !-- anywhere. You also need edit the number in the sequence=" " string. This number is just the order of the icons on the desktop. So it can be whatever you want, but it has to be logical 1-9 with no duplicates. Look at my example above. it goes 4,3,2,1 then 5, 5, 5, 5, 9, 6, 8. Three of the fives are commented out so those lines arent counted. Every other number is unique.

There is no seven. I dont know why ... dont sweat it!

rjm, Sep 2, 2008
  16. rjm

diverduck1994

Would like to thank the original poster. I got my one today never really messed with linux yet I followed the directions and in 10 min could make a skype call. Thanks, I believe am in love with this thing already. :D

diverduck1994, Oct 11, 2008
  17. rjm

clairenmatt

Hi,

i have followed all of these instructions, however i still cannot see Skype in my desktop or advanced menu. There is a gap now though on the desk top where i believe Skype should be - however, it is just a gap.

Can anyone help? i have been trying to install this for over a week.

THANKS

Claire

clairenmatt, Oct 14, 2008
  18. rjm

EcoTed

Thanks for the instructions - the install / config changes worked fine for me, for some reason my config had Skype set as item 7 anyway - easy life :D

EcoTed

EcoTed, Oct 24, 2008
  19. rjm

jsg

Hi

After downloading and using the software installer (right click on rpm)

I get the following dependency errors - I am lost and would appreciate help

Missing Dependency: libgnutls.so.13(GNUTLS_1_3) is needed by package libpurple
    Missing Dependency: libedataserver-1.2.so.9 is needed by package ame
    Missing Dependency: libgnutls.so.13 is needed by package ame
    Missing Dependency: libgnutls.so.13 is needed by package libpurple
    Missing Dependency: libedataserver-1.2.so.9 is needed by package acerim
    Missing Dependency: libgnutls.so.13 is needed by package acerim

Thanks

jsg, Oct 28, 2008
  20. rjm

jsg

jsg, Oct 29, 2008
Ask a Question