Install and use other window manager?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by coin, Jul 25, 2008.

1. coin

coin

Hi, can anyone give me a walkthrough on installing and using another window manager on the Aone? I've downloaded KDE through the package manager but I honestly don't know how to implement it.
    Ideally I would like to setup and use Fluxbox, and since that is even lighter weight than xfce I think it wouldn't be a bad choice for any of us. I tried enabling the default xfce desktop and it just doesn't feel right (no start button type thing like in xubuntu). Thanks. :D

coin, Jul 25, 2008
  2. coin

coin

I hate to bump my own thread, but does anyone know?

coin, Jul 26, 2008
  3. coin

Monkey

Hi,

Im now using fvwm2 instead of xfce... I wanted the possibility to easily switch between the original-setup, and my "setup".. So here is what I have done:
    [*] install you windowmanager you want to use (e.g. yum install fvwm)
    [*] edit /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc (somewhere near line 93) you will find something like
    Code:
    xfcesm=`which xfce4-session`
    replace this line by
    Code:
    xfcesm=`which fvwm2` 
    where fvwm2 is the name of your window manager you want to start...

[*] edit file /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc_later and comment out the line (here line 65)
    Code:
    xfdesktop&

(you can uncomment the line after which starts orage as well if you dont need it...)
    [*]restart your system and hope... this is working fine for me!

Good Luck!

Monkey

Monkey, Jul 26, 2008
  4. coin

limabintang

hi monkey

i have tried your way, but fvwm run not well..
    how if i wanna back to previous setting?

thank you so much

limabintang, Jul 28, 2008
  5. coin

coin

Just hit alt-f2, run xterm or check run in terminal and then do "su -" followed by "mousepad (insert file path here)" and do his instructions in reverse.

coin, Jul 28, 2008
  6. coin

coin

I didn't want to make a new thread but I am still struggling to get a new desktop environment on linpus. Installing fvwm isn't as simple as say: gnome, fluxbox, kde, xfce (well installing it is, implementing it isn't). Can someone post a way to get a complete XFCE desktop? I followed the old instructions for it but as many reported it didn't seem complete. Did linpus hack and slash their xfce installation to save space or what? Maybe we could use this thread for all these types of questions, since we don't have a sticky and I think it is a hot topic. Anyway thanks!

coin, Aug 3, 2008
  7. coin

thomasd

Hi all,

I tried to install the dwm window manager (from suckless.org). Having read in another thread, the window manager is started in ~/.bash_profile. I changed the line containing startxfce4 to dwm. (A side note: Just typing dwm results in an empty status bar. The status bar text for dwm can be piped into dwm a loop here, but that's not relevant for this topic.)

That worked really nice, but the Wireless LAN is no longer working, the interface ath0 is not even existing. It seems as if the corresponding startup scripts are only loaded during the xfce startup sequence, which is really annoying.

Next try will be to modify the xfce startup scripts such that all modules and helper programs are loaded, but also a custom window manager will be started. I will let you know how it works out.

thomasd, Aug 6, 2008
  8. coin

coin

Thanks for your efforts! I knew there was something wrong here, but I'm sure someone (or you) will be able to set us up. There isn't any real problem with linpus, I just want a real desktop environment, which I think is likely everyone else's qualm with it as well.

coin, Aug 6, 2008
  9. coin

thomasd

I gave up.

Every now and then, modifying some of the scripts results in a loss of the ath0 interface. This is very strange, as it seems to appear in a random way and there is no escape other than recovering the whole OS.

After I discovered that sshfs (which I need for work) does not work with the Linpus kernel, I will now switch to another Linux distro.

thomasd, Aug 11, 2008
  10. coin

A_I

A_I, Aug 11, 2008
Ask a Question