Inspiron m731r 5735 problems

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Madmike84, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Madmike84

Madmike84

image.jpg image.jpg I came home one evening and it started up my laptop. I started getting 3 beeps. So I took everything apart and checked the motherboard over really well. (3 beeps mean motherboard failure if I'm correct.)
    When I put it back together I started getting 4 beeps. So I took it apart again and again. Focusing on the ram modules. Now that's all I'm getting. I'm not under warranty and I'm at a loss. Can't believe this thing already crapped out. Any advice? I've been watching youtube on how to repair a motherboard. Reading everything with the multimeter seems tricky. I can't find this mobo online anywhere.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    Madmike84, Jun 17, 2014
  2. Madmike84

CrashTester

Did you user any anti static precaution when you disassembled your laptop? If not then you are likely to have caused further damage to the circuitry when you took it all apart and touched any of the PCBs (RAM, Motherboard, etc).

Also, before you disassembled it did you do any other kind of trouble shooting, i.e, remove the hard drive and ram and try to boot up? Did you have any display at the time? Often beeps indicate a video problem - it beeps because it cant display an error code. What happens if you do not plug in any of the display cables and power on the laptop? If that works then maybe you have an inverter problem.

Did you try plugging in an external monitor at all?

CrashTester, Jul 21, 2014
  3. Madmike84

Madmike84

Well my anti static method was touching metal to ground myself out. That's what they taught us in school anyway haha. I have tried removing HDD and ram with no avail. I tried going through hdmi but still does the same thing. I'm thinking about scrapping the laptop and using the HDD as an external hard drive :/. Seems like everything I try I get 4 beeps now.

Madmike84, Jul 21, 2014
  4. Madmike84

Brian8gbSSDLinux

I'm interested about where you found the info about 3 beeps = Mobo fault...

Here is a link to the various Manufacturers BIOS codes -
    http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

The only ones that seems to use 3 beeps are AMI and AWARD where
    3 beeps = RAM problem... (did you remove, RAM? Rub contacts with pencil rubber then wipe off loose rubber bits with tissue, then replace RAM?)...

IBM (Unlikely you have THAT, but)... 3 LONG beeps - RAM

This...
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/nonworkingcomponent/ht/beepcodestb.htm

Is a BETTER explanation of the beep codes...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Jul 26, 2014
  5. Madmike84

Madmike84

I found the codes on dells website . Dell Inspiron AMD10. I'm gonna try the eraser method in a little bit and put everything back together and see what happens if it's no good. I'm gonna trash it. The computer was free and I can't find the motherboard to replace it. Dell won't help either, bastards. How hard is it for them to send me another mobo or at least tell me where to buy another?!?

Ps- before all this I installed Linux three different times. Once for kali, one for Fedora , and the last was ubuntu. I used Ubuntu for about two months. Could I have screwed something up when installing Linux to have a hardware problem?

Madmike84, Jul 27, 2014
  6. Madmike84

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Putting Linux on a Computer does not affect the hardware... it just upsets Mr. Microsoft...

DELL along with one or two other 'Big Names' only ASSEMBLE laptops... using parts bought from Taiwan... Prreeze send 100 Mobos, 100 Screens, 100 Keyboards... then they build 100 Laptops... so they do NOT have spares to sell to Mr. User... and can be very unhelpful because they want people to think that they ARE a 'Big Name' - time was faulty laptops returned under Warranty were replaced by Brand New items.

Now a days if you want SERVICE from a Computer Manufacturer you need to go to one of the BIG NAMES... HP, Toshiba, Samsung, Sony... but try Googling (say)
    big name computer/ model/ complaints /Class action (No actual /)
    or similar... before buying ANY advertised Computer... to see what other users think about what they have purchased...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Jul 28, 2014
  7. Madmike84

Madmike84

Well I'm still stuck on this thing. I bought new memory modules and still doesn't work. Anyone have advice on how to check if the motherboard or the memory slots on the mono are bad?

Madmike84, Feb 16, 2015
Ask a Question