Insanely easy way to dual boot XP and Win7

Discussion in 'Windows' started by NCPictures, Apr 12, 2009.

1. NCPictures

NCPictures

You can do this from XP. No need to create boot disks or burn DVDs.

1) Download latest Win 7 version ISO from your favorite location.
    2) Download MagicDisk http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso- ... erview.htm
    This will allow you to mount the ISO as a DVD/CD drive on your computer. No need to burn a DVD or have a DVD drive.
    3) Partition your hard drive for a Win7 Partition (use Partition Magic or what ever your favorite is). Partition about 20 GB for Win7
    4) Mount the Win7 ISO using MagicDisk -- You will see the Win7 Install program come up.
    5) Install Win7 onto your Win7 Partition
    6) Enjoy dual booting

Mine works fine except I cannot get the wireless to find my access point. But it can see my neighbors???!!???

Do at your own risk.

Want to try Ubuntu next.

NCPictures, Apr 12, 2009
  2. NCPictures

LaffyTaffy

Thanks for this. I've never installed dual operating systems or made a partition before, but your guide made it easy.

My AAO:
    8.9" 160 gig HD, 1 gig ram.
    I never needed to use a USB drive or an external DVD.

Getting a Windows 7 file:
    I downloaded Win 7 from Microsoft's website, since they've been permitting downloads since yesterday, May 5. I had to write down the serial number given to me on a download screen. It's good for one year.

Mounting the Windows 7 file:
    I downloaded Magic ISO Maker and was concerned at first since my download is only a trial version. It turns out that the trial version of Magic ISO Maker(version 5.5) is sufficient to do the deed. Magic ISO Maker prompted me to download their sister program, MagicDisc, to do the actual mounting.

Making a partition:
    I managed to acquire the program PartitionMagic 8.0. It had an option,"install another operating system." I didn't bother with this. Instead, I chose, "Create a new partition" and used it to make a 20 gig partition.

The installation:
    While on the Windows XP desktop I mounted the Windows 7 file I downloaded from Microsoft, double clicked the drive it appeared on, and followed the install instructions. At the beginning of the install I chose the advanced option and it permitted me to install Windows 7 on the fresh partition instead of installing/erasing Windows XP. It took maybe 30 minutes, probably less.

Works perfect, thanks!

LaffyTaffy, May 7, 2009
  3. NCPictures

high compression ii

Thanks, Brill Forum and great info!

Just bought a AOD150 AA1 with XP on. Followed the above guide, now has dual-boot with Win 7 and original XP...

For info I used a freebee partition magic type prog, and a Kingston 4GB mem stick, £9.00 at PC world....

Ive never been much on computing but this was such an easy guide and process it was even easy for me! :lol:

Now exploring other possibilities for modding and upgrading...

Thanks again!

high compression ii, May 25, 2009
  4. NCPictures

TfAv2890

That was so easy and smooth!!! Thanks.

TfAv2890, Jun 23, 2009
  5. NCPictures

wirelessdropouts

can anyone recommend a free partitioning program that i can use on the aspire? i've tried to locate paragon but no download location works for me. Others require running from boot cd's etc.

wirelessdropouts, Jun 23, 2009
  6. NCPictures

TfAv2890

easiest way. stick ubuntu on a pen drive and load up gparted or somehow obtain a full copy of partitionmagic. i don't know any other program for windows and gparted worked great for me.

TfAv2890, Jul 15, 2009
  7. NCPictures

rando152

rando152, Jul 28, 2009
  8. NCPictures

babysvt

I really want to try this when I get my Aspire and want to try it on my current laptop. I have already downloaded the file but couldn't get the ISO software to work right. I am going to try what is suggested here. Feeling kind of nervous about this but think I will give it a try! Thanks!

babysvt, Aug 6, 2009
  9. NCPictures

myksterx

will this work with Moblin 2.0 by any chance? ive done the above step's, but moblin won't boot or anything to install like Windows XP allows you to.

myksterx, Dec 5, 2009
  10. NCPictures

pablum

Hi,
    I have an Acer Aspire one 532h with Win 7 starter already installed, I would like to instal XP as the dual boot option.
    Do I just follow the instructions above? I have an external CD drive and have downloaded Partition Magic so I dont need to mount the ISO or anything....
    Any advice appreciated.
    Regards
    Gary

pablum, Jul 5, 2010
Ask a Question