Initial questions

Discussion in 'Linux' started by larkim, Apr 30, 2009.

1. larkim

larkim

My AOA150 arrived yesterday, 120gb model with 512mb and Linpus on. All up and running, wifi sorted, updates installed. All good!

I have some initial questions after playing around last night:-
    - are there any special trackpad options - I understood the pad was a synaptic one - are these available under Linpus / Linux?
    - installed google earth but it runs like a complete dog. Any tips?
    - is there an iso available of the Linpus restore disk? I bought the AAO as a refurb model, and it only came with a battery and power pack.
    - is firefox the "best" browser out there? I use Chrome on PCs which I find much "lighter"

Any help gratefully received to any / all questions!

Thanks!

Matt

larkim, Apr 30, 2009
  2. larkim

itres

itres, Apr 30, 2009
  3. larkim

Fairnuf

As for browsers you could try Opera. Similar in many ways to the excellent Chrome, but not suitable for all websites unfortunately.

Fairnuf, Apr 30, 2009
  4. larkim

CFC1

I finally managed to enable the right click menu last night and "downloaded" 3 games from the OS and, when I turned the Acer on this morning, it was OK, I then put it into sleep mode, and when I tried to wake it up, it wouldn't spring back to life! Just a blank screen. So, eventually, as a last resort, I took the battery out and then put it back in and turned the machine on ... but it took about 5 minutes to boot up! Is this because of me enabling the extended menu via right-click? ... or adding the extra games?

Any help would be appreciated!

CFC1, May 3, 2009
  5. larkim

larkim

I had a similar experience, but I think mine was caused by my son shutting down and then closing the lid before it shut down fully.

The AAO booted into the splash screen, sat there for about 5 minutes churning away at the HDD, then rebooted, splash screen and more HDD churning before eventually displaying the UI.

I strongly suspect it was doing some sort of disk check on the HDD (like CheckDisk on windows PCs). Certainly since then it hasn't happened again, and I've been installing / removing software like there's no tomorrow!

(Living life on the edge as I don't have a backup disk yet!)

Matt

larkim, May 5, 2009
  6. larkim

CFC1

Cheers Larkim ;) ... hasn't happened since! :shock:

CFC1, May 5, 2009
  7. larkim

3ld468

Hello larkim and CFC1,
    If your AA1 suffers a 'catastrophic' shutdown - such as removing the battery while it is on but not connected to the mains or it is connected but without the battery installed and somebody, me in my case, kicks the plug out - it will go through the initial phase of the boot-up twice when next switched on. Presumably, the first boot does some checks to see if anything untoward happened to the low-level systems and, if not, re-boots as normal. Something similar used to happen to pre OS X Macs if they were not turned off in an orderly fashion.
    It is a little disconcerting but seems to be the usual behaviour.
    Cheers,
    Mike

3ld468, May 5, 2009
  8. larkim

CFC1

Thanks 3ld468 ... you will have seen above that's exactly what happened to me ... machine locked up and I removed the battery ... appreciate your reply fella. I won't be so concerned if it ever happens again! :eek:

CFC1, May 5, 2009
  9. larkim

barrie

Hi CFC1,

You will not damage your AA0 by pulling the battery if you suffer a crash thus causing it to not shut down normally, and yes it will run through a boot check first before fully rebooting. But once done you should see no loss to speed or functionality, and compared to an MS OS Linux seems be much easier to recover under such circumstances.

Defiantly create a backup image but I would use this method outlined by macles
    http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/12/acer ... ackup.html
    I use this and in fact had to restore to a previously made image a week ago due to an Acer update issue I encountered recently and it works a treat. :)
    viewtopic.php?f=67&t=13673
    There is also a command by solpuerto re choosing /selective updates. ;)

barrie, May 6, 2009
  10. larkim

CFC1

Cheers fot that Barrie mate! ;)

CFC1, May 6, 2009
Ask a Question