Initial Configuration Screen did not show up!

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by kakue, Jul 29, 2008.

1. kakue

kakue

Hello,

my acer aspire one arrived today. Aftger having inserted and loaded the battery I started the system. Unfortunately, the first thing I saw, was the "desktop"! There was no initial configuration dialogue. So, now, i have an english system, instead of a german one. I do not know the root password and quite frankly i have no idea what to do!

How can I change these factory settings and why the hack was there no configuration dialogue

kakue, Jul 29, 2008
  2. kakue

stiopa

maybe try to use restore cd :) fast and easy everything you need to know you have in yours user manual ;)

stiopa, Jul 30, 2008
  3. kakue

VSPLinux

I picked up what I thought was a new Linpus unit, however browser history and network configuration
    shows that someone from Stanford Univ had used it briefly, and returned it to the store.

They used a non-obvious password in the initial boot set-up, so - no ability to easily change the screen
    saver pwd (which, thankfully, they did not enable) and starting OpenOffice throws a warning about
    "your personal settings are locked".

What's the best way to handle this? I'd rather not go through the Recovery disk to USB key O/S
    restore method, if possible.

Thanks,
    VSPL

VSPLinux, Aug 12, 2008
  4. kakue

retsaw

I'd run the restore anyway, you don't know what changes they have made, so things may not work as they should and then you don't know if it is something the previous user did or a real bug in the software.

You can try deleting the /usr/share/oobe/oobe.log file, to do this get a terminal (there is an option to open one from the File menu of the file browser) and type "sudo rm /usr/share/oobe/oobe.log" (without the quotes). This should then cause the initial configuration program to run when you reboot.

You can probably delete most program configuration files without a problem they'll likely be recreated fresh the next time the program is run, though it is perhaps best just to move/rename them first. To find the configuration files open the file browser, click on My Disk in the left-hand panel, then select "Show Hidden Files" from the View menu, the configuration file are ones starting with a . (full stop/period/dot) Although be careful doing this, if you delete the .bash_profile file it is likely your desktop will not start up, it is safe to delete the ".openoffice.org 2.0" folder to clear the OpenOffice settings.

retsaw, Aug 12, 2008
  5. kakue

VSPLinux

Thanks retsaw !

I took the easy way out for now and deleted the .oobe.log and selected conf files. I need
    to get a larger capacity USB drive for the restore. So far O/S seems to be functioning sanely.

I pretty much bought this as a "simple" device for personal travel (email and trip logistics),
    but after a couple hours of using it, I can't wait to see how it plays mpeg video and functions
    as a edit platform for my digital (still) camera.

VL

VSPLinux, Aug 13, 2008
Ask a Question