Incorrect system information

Discussion in 'Acer' started by simdog, Aug 12, 2011.

1. simdog

simdog

My computer is an Acer aspire x3200 but about a year ago i downloaded ubuntu and used it for 3 months then parents wanted window vista back we didnt know how to do it so my mom gave computer to her friend to fix for us. he got windows vista back but he messed up the computer settings. for example when i click on my computer the hard drive for recovery is gone another thing is when i right click properties it says out computer is a dell (but its an acer aspire x3200) and 32 bit (we have 64 bit) a year later i am having problems with computer constantly freezing and i want to recover it to factory setting but erecovery isnt there any more. what can i do? and vista recovery disk download site?

thanks

simdog, Aug 12, 2011
  2. simdog

Swarvey Moderator

I don't know exactly how you went about installing Ubuntu, but chances are upon installation you might have wiped out the recovery partition. Either that or iyou left it there, but installing the linux bootloader messed up the computers access to it. Not sure, I don't know enough about Linux and don't really want to.

As for the incorrect system info, it's more than likely that your friend didn't have the Acer recovery media. Sounds like they've used a Dell OEM install media to get Windows back onto your machine.

If you want to go back to a 64 bit version, you'll need an install disk, but you can't just reinstall Windows over itself, especially from x86 to x64, you'll need to run a clean install. Then install drivers etc etc.

Swarvey, Aug 12, 2011
  3. simdog

simdog

where can i download the disk from? or is there a way to get erecovery back?

simdog, Aug 12, 2011
  4. simdog

simdog

help please?

simdog, Aug 13, 2011
  5. simdog

DutchDK

The recovery discs can be purchased from Acer. They are not available for download by any legit means.
    Acer provides a tool to make your own recovery discs, on all their pcs. If you didnt do that when you took the pc into use, you need to purchase them from Acer support.

It sounds like your friend wiped the complete harddisk when he was "fixing" it for you. So there isn't any other way than getting the recovery discs to restore the pc to factory condition. You might be lucky though, that the recovery partition still is there, but just is hidden. Try the D2D keyboard combo - Alt F10 - when you turn on the pc (remember to enable D2D in the bios if necessary).

DutchDK

DutchDK, Aug 14, 2011
  6. simdog

simdog

another friend of mine said i could download the acer bios thing but idk what to do from there

simdog, Aug 17, 2011
  7. simdog

Swarvey Moderator

The BIOS has nothing to do with the system information in the operating system, nor the architecture (x86x64). Re-flashing the BIOS also won't restore the recovery partition.

You'll still need to get the recovery CD's from Acer, or a Windows disk that supports the version pre-installed on your machine (Vista x64). You might be able to ask your local computer shop, tell them the scenario and if you're lucky, they might make a copy of a Windows install disk, they just won't provide you with a product key, which should be on the Vista Certificate of Authenticity sticker on the side of the machine. Re-activating OEM installs (like that which came with your PC) can be a pain though.

Swarvey, Aug 17, 2011
Ask a Question