Imaging drive from an Eee

Discussion in 'Asus Eee PC' started by jair2k4, Oct 15, 2008.

1. jair2k4

jair2k4

Hey everyone, quick question:

I have an Eee 701 that i've been using for a while (early adopter), And I routinely make backups once a month. I have an Nlited version of xp installed on it with all the drivers and extra bloat removed. My AA1 is supposed to be here tonight and I was wondering if anyone has had success copying over an image to their AA1 from another computer.

I'd like to continue using the exact same setup I have on the Eee, and it would simplify things if i could just move the image over. In the past, I have tried imaging across desktops, and while the image takes, I end up blue-screening before I get too far into startup.

I'd really like to send over a vlited version of vista home that I have, but either vista or xp would work for me. Think it's possible to do a direct copy and then set up drivers and whatnot, or would it be a waste of time?

jair2k4, Oct 15, 2008
  2. jair2k4

goofball

why not do a complete fresh install (which is always best), then copy your profile folder and your profile info in the registry (hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windowsnt\currentversion\profilelist\S-#-#-##, save this by going to File -> Export ).

Install all the apps you had before, then paste your profile into the same location on the AAO.
    Create the new user account with the same username (you can do this before the previous step).
    Give "Modify" permissions to the %username% folder that you copied over.
    Merge the contents of the .reg file that contains the info on where to find your user profile.
    Reboot and log back in with the user profile you created in previous step.

goofball, Oct 15, 2008
Ask a Question