Im a newb and I think I broke Linux

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by brad0022, Aug 16, 2008.

1. brad0022

brad0022

I followed the instructions for installing Firefox 3. I could not get it to work twice. First time everything was ok except FF 2 would not load. So I tried it again. Some termainal commands didnt work. I went to Add/Remove and uninstalled ff2 then reinstalled it. After that, the desktop disappeared. Its completely black except the desktop search bar and bottom task bar are shown. When I click on the home icon, I get an error. "Could not run command: xfdeakstop2 --gohome: Failed to execute child process "xfdesktop2" (No such file or directory)". Whats up with that? I dont have a USB cd drive to boot from the recovery cd so looks like I will have to buy one now.

brad0022, Aug 16, 2008
  2. brad0022

Sid

Or you could buy a cd/dvd drive and connect it to the One, you can recover directly from the cd.

Too many options :)

Sid, Aug 16, 2008
  3. brad0022

brad0022

Yea Im gonna pick a drive today and recover Linux. So was I doing it wrong to uninstall FF2 from the repository and then reinstall it?

I followed the instructions from http://macles.wordpress.com/2008/07/22/ ... -one-a110/. I made sure I spelled the commands correctly but for what ever reason it would not work. The only thing I was successful at was downloading and extracting it from terminal commands.

brad0022, Aug 16, 2008
  4. brad0022

bradleyT72

you don't need to pick up a new usb cd/dvd drive. It would be cheaper to do it this way:

Put the recovery dvd in another PC and restart it so it boots from the the DVD.
    Place a 4GB usb drive (cheaper than an usb optical drive) in the computer.
    Follow the menu options and create a recovery disk on the USB drive.
    After this process is complete..........
    Put the USB dive in your aspire one.
    Turn it on and press F12 at the first screen.
    This should allow you to choose what device you want to boot from.
    Choose the usb drive.
    The machine should reboot. Follow the options and it will reinstall linpus.

bradleyT72, Aug 16, 2008
  5. brad0022

brad0022

A guy at a local computer shop let me use the shops usb cd drive. I ran the installer and it got to 100% and then gave me an error message. Cant remember it now. So I restarted the machine and it rebooted but froze on rebooting. I waited 15 minutes, unplugged the usb cd drive and rebooted. It came up with a screen that displayed a series of 99 repeatedly. I just ended up exchanging it at Circuit City. The computer tech recommended that or either he would have to charge a repair fee.

brad0022, Aug 20, 2008
Ask a Question