Idea on screen replacement

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by HaTaX, Oct 29, 2008.

1. HaTaX

HaTaX

So almost all of the netbooks out there with an 8.9" screen have a 1024x600 resolution. I'd like to see a higher res screen then that, but the only 8.9" netbook on the market with a higher resolution screen is the HP 2133 that I can find.

I was wondering if it would maybe be possible to take a replacement screen from one of those and place it in the One's screen housing? The obvious problem would be the connector, but if it was the same, I've found sources online for that screen for $80. If it could be fitted into the housing and the connector made compatible / came compatible then that would be a nice cheap upgrade for those of us looking for more then 600 lines of screen height.

Ideas? Someone have some pictures of the connectors in question?

PS - I liked the 2133 alot, only thing keeping me from that model was that nasty C7 cpu in it.

HaTaX, Oct 29, 2008
  2. HaTaX

Bleego

I would be interested in finding a place to get one of the 1280 x 768 screens for $80. This has been something I have been interested in too. either from the HP or some of the old Sony picturebooks ( 1280 x 800 )

Or the Alternate but same idea, Asus eee 1000h with a 1280x768 screen from a Fujitsu P series.

Bleego, Oct 29, 2008
  3. HaTaX

Kei

This would be a sick mod....

Kei, Oct 29, 2008
  4. HaTaX

melhiore

But still possible. I was interested in that kind of mod as well. But there is some problem with obtaining LCD screen with necessary inverter. This mod require both parts - it's not only LCD screen... There is some topic about replacement LCD screen possible to get. I must Search the forum later...

melhiore, Oct 29, 2008
  5. HaTaX

Jaik

We'd need to find out what controller chips each screen uses. If they're not the same then it's not going to happen, LCD controllers are far too complex to hack together. I've seen people wanting to use laptop LCDs with desktop computers dozens of times before and 99% of them give up when they realise how difficult it is without the right controller chip.

Jaik, Oct 29, 2008
  6. HaTaX

HaTaX

HaTaX, Nov 1, 2008
Ask a Question