I would like to boot from SSD

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by kendoodle, May 16, 2009.

1. kendoodle

kendoodle

I have an Acer Aspire One that boots from a hard drive. While I am happy with booting from a hard drive, I would like to have the option of booting up other OS's from a 16 GB SD that I bought for this purpose. Is there a way to do this?

kendoodle, May 16, 2009
  2. kendoodle

Arctic_Eddie

Yes, you can do it. However, you must first install another OS on the SD card and be sure it's bootable. Many of the Linux distros will install from a LiveCD directly to an SD card or USB stick. Normally, you would download a Linux ISO file then burn it onto a CD. Then you would boot from the CD using the F12 startup feature on the Acer. Thereafter, you would continue to use the F12 feature to select your boot device. That feature may have to be turned on in the BIOS.

A USB powered DVD burner is a good addition to your Acer. I just bought a Samsung SE-S084/RSBN for my D150.

Arctic_Eddie, May 22, 2009
  3. kendoodle

donec

You may be able to do it. However! it is rare to find a BIOS that will reconize an SD card for booting. In fact the only netbook I have seen that will do it is the AA1 10.1 inch. I have just gotten one and it will boot from a properly install OS on an SDHC card. The AA1 11.6 inch are now on sale at Walmart for $398.00 but I don't know they will boot from an SD card but I suspect they will. (IMO the 11.6 AA1 is ugly when compared to the 11.1 AA1.)

donec, May 23, 2009
  4. kendoodle

RockDoctor

If you plug your SD card into a USB card reader, you'll be able to boot from it just like any other USB stick. Perhaps not an optimal solution, but it will work

RockDoctor, May 30, 2009
Ask a Question