I want to try Fedora LXDE

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Pierre, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Pierre

Pierre

on my 512MB/8GB SSD AA1 which also runs Cunchbang. I'd be dual booting.

But I can't find the .iso file anywhere :lol: I want to use unetbootin with an iso file to create a bootable USB stick, but I really can't find it anywhere :s

Also, I'm already dual booting Kuki and Crunchbang right now. I'd get rid of Kuki for Fedora. Can I use the Kuki kernel with Fedora or is it only optimized for Ubuntu releases? Second, I've already configured my GRUB through Crunchbang, and I'm guessing that the #! grub will be replaced by whatever Fedora uses for boot? I'd rather keep on using grub... though that's not as big a deal really.

Thanks!

Pierre, Mar 8, 2010
  2. Pierre

RockDoctor

You can find it at: http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/lxde. You want the i386 iso file.

The kuki kernel is rather old, isn't it? The Fedora kernel is at least 2.6.33; I'd go with it. Fedora still uses grub1 as the boot loader. However, you can choose to not install the boot loader, and just add an entry for Fedora to your #! /boot/grub/menu.lst file. One thing you should definitely do to save space once you've installed Fedora is to use dracut to create an initramfs file that just loads the kernel modules needed by your Aspire One. On my desktop PC, I can save about 8MB.

RockDoctor, Mar 11, 2010
  3. Pierre

Frits

Hello, i am using it for a whiile, i did not know about dracut.
    @Rockdoctor:
    I read the man page, but i lost it somewhere, i didn't get it.
    Can you explain how you used it?

I have the A110, with 1,5 ram an d the ssg of 8gb.

Frits, Mar 12, 2010
  4. Pierre

RockDoctor

dracut --help should give you enough info to use the program. When I use dracut, it's typically by following the procedure below. I do keep the old initramfs around long enough to ensure that its replacement works properly (but I haven't had a problem since pre-F12)
    1. Open a terminal window, and as root:
    2. cd /boot
    3. mv initramfs-<version-goes-here>.img initramfs-<version-goes-here>.img.old
    4. dracut -H

Just tried it on my desktop PC; initramfs-2.6.33-1.fc13.i686.img went from 12,039,487 bytes to 4,383,167 by eliminating kernel modules not needed in the initramfs

RockDoctor, Mar 12, 2010
  5. Pierre

Frits

Thanks, it works very well.
    Never heard off that trick.
    So, now i have a customized kernel???

Frits, Mar 12, 2010
  6. Pierre

RockDoctor

Your kernel didn't change. Check this out: [urlhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initrd][/url] - initrd and initramfs are two names for the same type of entity.

Back in the early days of the AA1, when sickboy and others were creating custom kernels, the customizations (basically) dealt with which kernel modules would be built, and how they would they be built - as loadable modules or built into the kernel. The idea was to build in just the modules needed for the AOA110/AOA150 (which were the two models available at the time). The resulting vmlinuz file was, if my memory serves me correctly, about 30% smaller than a stock Ubuntu kernel. By builing the modules into the kernel (the vmlinuz file), you don't waste boot time loading the modules from the SSD/HDD.

RockDoctor, Mar 12, 2010
  7. Pierre

Frits

Thanks Rockdoctor for explaining.
    Learned more about Linux!
    And liking it more and more.

Frits, Mar 13, 2010
Ask a Question