I want an iTunes-y music player - options?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Payndz, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Payndz

Payndz

Okay, so the default Media Master program on the Linpus One is a piece of garbage - but what's the best program to replace it with?

I'm normally a Mac user, so I want something that's similar to iTunes - ie, I have a big list of music files that can be sorted by title, artist, album, whatever, and I can make playlists from that master list. That's basically all I need. I don't need album covers, visualisers, podcasts, streams, databases that fill in all the missing facts about every single track, or anything else like that - just easy access to my music. So what's the best choice?

Bear in mind that A: I'm a Linux newbie, and B: I tried Amarok and hated it. (Sorry if that's your favourite player, but it just didn't do the trick for me.) So with those considerations, does anyone have any recommendations?

Payndz, Aug 15, 2008
  2. Payndz

Sid

Suggestion.....

Load OSX and then load iTunes?

See the OSX thread, really.

Sid, Aug 16, 2008
  3. Payndz

Payndz

:lol: But seriously...

Payndz, Aug 16, 2008
  4. Payndz

Sid

No I mean it, if having iTunes is your main criteria then OSX or Windoze it the way to go, no linux app does all that iTunes does.

Please list your main requirements for the One?

Also what One do you have the SSD or HDD?

Sid, Aug 16, 2008
  5. Payndz

Sid

It seems a bit strange wanting to carry a "big list of music files" on a One when you use a Mac?
    I have to ask, why you don't carry the music on an iPod?
    The audio out of the One is not that stunning.

Sid, Aug 16, 2008
  6. Payndz

SbM

Sid is very serious, and so am I. Mac OS X works fine on the One, the biggest hindrance being the non-working wifi : all you need to do is replace the internal wifi card with a Dell 1390 (for instance). Audio output works fine too, except you have to specifically select internal speakers or headphones (which might actually come in handy if you happen to unplug your headphones by accident ;))

Why don't you give it a try? : [​IMG]

SbM, Aug 16, 2008
  7. Payndz

Ceno

but to answer the question,

I know of three programs, Listen, Rythmbox and Banshee.
    Listen in it's early phases, rythmbox I think is pure crap but it does come default with ubuntu so maybe it's worth something, and banshee is kinda like amarok but it's programmed in a different language so the experience is a bit different. Go to their websites and check out some screenshots or something

Amarok is really the best one, if you don't like it then I really don't know. I'd say cope with it. o_O

Ceno, Aug 16, 2008
  8. Payndz

Payndz

As much as I like OS X, I don't want to open up my brand-new machine and buy a new wifi card to put in it, or for that matter buy a copy of Leopard to install on it. I'm not a hardware hacker, and while the One's interface is limited, it does the job. I just want a better music player than the one already on there. ;)

I'll have a look at some of the other suggestions - hopefully one'll fit the bill!

Payndz, Aug 16, 2008
  9. Payndz

SbM

Fair enough.

If you really can't live without iTunes, maybe you could try to install Wine and run a copy of iTunes for Windows. Don't know if it'll work, but I guess it's worth a try.

SbM, Aug 16, 2008
  10. Payndz

Payndz

It's not that I'm so in love with iTunes that I want to marry it - I just want something similar to it...

Scratch Rhythmbox, I guess - it wouldn't even unzip without an error message, never mind install!

Payndz, Aug 16, 2008
  11. Payndz

Ceno

Ceno, Aug 16, 2008
  12. Payndz

2manydjs

I've been using iTunes since version 1 and my preference on Linux is Songbird.

2manydjs, Aug 17, 2008
  13. Payndz

Toma

Toma, Aug 17, 2008
  14. Payndz

qball

I prefer setting up mpd + client (ncmpcpp for cli an gmpc for gui).
    It is very lightweight. Something I prefer being on a no-swap low memory machine..

qball, Aug 17, 2008
  15. Payndz

lightpost

iTunes in Wine generally doesn't work because the updates from Apple have a nasty habit of "undoing" a lot of the compatibility work by the Wine people. :(

Amarok 2 is designed to be slightly more iTunes-like in function at least, but it will be a while before you can safely install it. If you can find it in the repositories, you might also want to try Songbird (if you don't mind it being somewhat beta-ish still).

Other than that, your best bet if you don't want to hack much is to simply try and give Amarok a second chance. You might not like it now, but once you get used to it perhaps you'll see things differently. :)

Being an old-fashioned m3u Playlist kinda person though, I prefer to use things like Audacious and Kaffeine myself. :D

lightpost, Aug 18, 2008
  16. Payndz

wozzer

What about Songbird? anyone have actual experience with it? It's an iTunes lookalike isn't it - and designed for Linux? All functionality and looks of iTunes except for 'iTunes Store'

wozzer, Aug 18, 2008
  17. Payndz

palingenesis

i would avoid songbird until its a bit more stable, instead i got amarok from the package manager

palingenesis, Aug 20, 2008
  18. Payndz

jlekman

XMMS for AA1 linpus

xmms is a reasonable streaming music and mp3 player. It is not much like ITunes, but is far superior to what is on Acer Linpus by default. Looks like MP3 support is not allowed out of the box.

To install, get livna-release-8.rpm from http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/ and install it (rpm -iv as SU). This gives you Livna repo under yum.

Then "yum install xmms xmms-mp3". I see it automatically added to my RClick menu under multimedia as "audio player".

The app is somewhat like Winamp, and works fine for URL streaming and MP3 file playing.

jlekman, Aug 22, 2008
  19. Payndz

sumcocan

songbird is very well... but y don´t know how to install it on the one :(

sumcocan, Aug 26, 2008
  20. Payndz

MusicMeister

You can try MediaMonkey under WINE as a possibility. It's only rated Bronze, and some things don't work, but most of the core functionality of iTunes is there.

MusicMeister, Aug 26, 2008
Ask a Question