I returned my 751 TWICE and finally got the Gateway LT3103U

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by mkanet, Jul 11, 2009.

1. mkanet

mkanet

For those of you who have that weird slowness/slugishness/lag under Vista when using the 751, you're not alone. I first thought I had a defective unit, so I swapped for another one. Both had this slowness (when clicking on an application, instead of popping right up, it takes about a half second-1 second delay. When I was at Fry's electronics there was another person return it for the same EXACT reason.

Gateway did with the LT3103U using the AMD Athlon 1.2Ghz CPU and ATI Radeon x1270, its extremely responsive; and even handled my graphics intensive Direct3D HDTV streaming program SageTV with ATI hardware acceleration active. The intel display adapter in the Aspire one isn''t powerful enough to even start the app. The weird thing is that the Intel Atom that was in my 751 was a 1.33Ghz CPU with dual core; but no matter what, it's waaaay slow. I never really thought too highly of AMD processors; nor ATI video cards (Ive always been pro Intel, Nvidia). But, I have to hand it to Gateway, they really did well. Downgrading to XP for the 751 wasn't a good solution either since if I installed XP on the Gateway, it would be still way faster than the 751.

I would have loved to keep the 751 because it has builtin bluetooth. But, I just cant sacrifice that much speed for bluetooth.

http://www.gateway.com/programs/ltseries/index.php

mkanet, Jul 11, 2009
  2. mkanet

Felix[GER]

The Gateway is definately faster that the Acer 751. Good to hear you found a device matching your needs and you are happy. This is the most important!
    I need a good battery life, and the Acer provides me 5,5-6 hours of real usage. Until there is no other 11,6" (wont go back to 1024x600 resolution) lasting that long i´ll stay with it.

Felix[GER], Jul 11, 2009
  3. mkanet

mkanet

Gateway is a 11.6 screen with 2GB ram, 250GB disk, and 6cell battery standard; and last longer than 5,5-6 hours on the 6cell battery.

mkanet, Jul 11, 2009
  4. mkanet

Felix[GER]

Too bad it´s not avalible in germany. We have only one new AMD-Netbook here, also 11,6" but a bit weaker graphic (Radeon 1250) than your Gateway (Radeon 1270). Here are the specs: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Newsentry. ... 2d6.0.html

Sounds very good and is really faster than any Atom based Netbook, but Battery-life in the Medion 1312 is super-awful. Several reviews tested a realistic usage of about 2,5-3 hours, which is really bad for a 6-Cell Netbook. According to this review: http://www.netbooktech.com/2009/07/10/g ... 3u-review/ the Gateway will do better (about 4 hours) than the Medion which is avalible here.

At the end, you made your choice and are happy, thats all about ;)

Felix[GER], Jul 11, 2009
  5. mkanet

TrackSmart

You are misinterpreting the battery life tests

Just to clarify, I think you have misinterpreted the battery life test from the article. Their test had the CPU running near 100% capacity the whole time. In real-world usage people have seen 4 - 4.5 hours with the Gateway. And about 5.5 to 6 hours for the Acer version with a six-cell battery.

TrackSmart, Jul 11, 2009
  6. mkanet

TrackSmart

It sounds like you could have saved yourself a lot of trouble by reading the reviews for the Acer 751 before buying. I find the lag to be tolerable in Vista. Clearly it bothered you a lot. I'm glad you are happy with the Gateway.

Just so you know, the Atom processor has only one core. It has "hyperthreading" which means that it can simulate having two cores to help with multitasking.

I hope you do more research with your future technology purchases. I think that a lot of people buy products not knowing much about their capabilities or flaws. Heck, some people even return netbooks because they didn't know they lacked CD-ROM drives! Your case isn't that bad, but still, a little research would have saved you two returns!

TrackSmart, Jul 11, 2009
  7. mkanet

Eosblue

Due these "Vista" 751's mentioned in this thread come with Vista installed? I bought my 751 about a month ago and it came with XP. I wouldn't have bought it if Vista was the operating system. As to speed, I'm very happy with my 751. Its only use is to surf the net while on the road. Most of my at home use is on my Apple MacBook with a little Excel and Quicken done with my desktop. I was running Vista on my desktop until it got so bogged down, I dumped it for Windows 7 RC.

When the real Win7 comes out, I may put it on my 751 if there is no performance hit, but I'm also thinking of sticking with XP until the 751 melts down.

Eosblue, Jul 14, 2009
  8. mkanet

josh24

Re: I returned my 751 TWICE and finally got the Gateway LT31

IS THERE ANY WAY TO BE MORE ACCURATE
    IN THIS FUNCTION?
    how to get a girl to like you

josh24, Aug 2, 2010
  9. mkanet

VolcomStone54

Re: I returned my 751 TWICE and finally got the Gateway LT31

Hello Guys,

I have no idea for that Question sorry josh,
    Please helped for josh i didnt know the correct answer.
    Thanks a lot God Bless.

make money online

VolcomStone54, Sep 29, 2010
Ask a Question