I need help setting up my wifi connection

Discussion in 'Windows' started by waltomare, Apr 27, 2009.

1. waltomare

waltomare

I have just installed a wireless router onto my PC which isn't wireless. My AAO picks up my wireless connection - but it won't connect to it. The encryption on it says WPA and I don't know if I have to configure my AAO to accept that or not. Also when I click on my network on the AAO and press Connect it asks for a network key or a WEP or WPA key. What is that? Is there some more items that I have to configure on my AAO or PC? Thanks for any info - I havent done this setup before.

waltomare, Apr 27, 2009
  2. waltomare

Firo

Firstly you have to go to your router settings and set up a type of encryption (e.g. WEP, WPA), channel and couple of other necessary settings. Than you will put those access data to your computer and you should be done.

Firo, Apr 27, 2009
  3. waltomare

Forone

If the router is already broadcasting and says it's WPA, then there must already be a WPA passphrase for it because creating a passphrase is part of setting up the wi-fi broadcasting. The passphrase may be in your router documentation, if you got the modem from your ISP they might have put in a default passphrase, or if you got the router used from somebody, they would have set up the passphrase.

By the way, if the router supports it, you should set it for WPA2 (instead of WPA) for the most secure encryption. The Acer will identify it, but you need to know the exact passphrase to allow the Acer to connect.

Forone, Apr 28, 2009
Ask a Question