I need a calendar or program with TASKS.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by vautrin44, Aug 12, 2008.

1. vautrin44

vautrin44

I don't see TASKS anywhere on the Acer Calendar. I'm just using the "all day appointment" as my task. However, a real task app would be useful. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

EDIT - Removed the word "manager".

vautrin44, Aug 12, 2008
  2. vautrin44

lightpost

Though a bit top-heavy, Mozilla Sunbird should be able to offer everything you need. It's common enough that it should be available for download from the Repository.

lightpost, Aug 13, 2008
  3. vautrin44

jaslar

You might try Jpilot, in the repositories. It's a Palm clone for Linux, complete, and fast, with Datebook, Address Book, To Dos, and Memos.

jaslar, Sep 16, 2008
  4. vautrin44

Jawn

I went to Google Calendar and Remember the Milk (www.rememberthemilk.com) for tasks. RTM works with Google Gears for offline use.

I love it. I used Outlook for years, and the Palm desktop, to manager tasks. RTM is much better if you have internet access. Also you can access it from anything with a browser, including cellphone. No need to sync.

Jawn, Sep 17, 2008
  5. vautrin44

kevin

Lightning plug-in for Mozilla Thunderbird. Essentially the same features as SunBird, but in Thunderbird. Maybe a bit over the top unless you're using Thunderbird anyway, as I am.

kevin, Sep 18, 2008
  6. vautrin44

dme212

dme212, Sep 24, 2008
  7. vautrin44

rbil

tar file downloads are usually raw source code. I imagine you'll be able to compile it. But since it's a gnome app, it might require a number of gnome libs to actually work under Linpus. Go for it and let us know how it works for you.

Compile instructions are available here:

http://live.gnome.org/Tasque/Building

Cheers.

rbil, Sep 24, 2008
  8. vautrin44

kevin

With considerable difficulty, is the answer :(

I built and installed this on my Fedora desktop and it worked fine. Unfortunately, it has three major dependencies that are lacking in Linpus:

1. The Mono runtime (tasque is written in C-sharp) and libraries
    2. The gnome desktop panel (where the little icon pops up)
    3. Integration between Mono and the gnome desktop

With these and all there sub-dependencies, I reckon you'd have to install about 200Mb of stuff. And you'd probably have to switch from XFCE to the Gnome desktop stuff, which I really wouldn't want to do on a machine with 512Mb RAM.

If I really wanted to run c-sharp apps and all the gnome desktop stuff on my One, it might be worth the 200Mb. But, quite frankly, Lightning is a better task manager, and doesn't need 200Mb of cruft to run.

So, sorry.

kevin, Sep 24, 2008
  9. vautrin44

admin_one

I just tried jPilot, it keeps trying to call "home" on the internet. Killing that app right now. I'll stick with sunbird, it's really better than jpilot anyway..

admin_one, Sep 24, 2008
  10. vautrin44

dme212

Yikes!
    Looks live a very high PITA factor...How about installing OpenSUSE on the AAO?
    http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_on_the_Aspire_One

NB: I have only recently returned to *nix after spending more than 20 yrs on mac and windows machines--I last used unix while @ UCB.

dme212, Sep 24, 2008
  11. vautrin44

kevin

There are various other distros that can be installed on the AA1, with varying degrees of difficulty. It's only the network drivers that seem to cause bother, and the latest Atheros drivers (which generally aren't included in the branded distributions) seem to be OK.

Personally I'm quite happy with the stock Linpus. I'm not averse to installing the Gnome desktop on the AA1, even on top of the stock Linpus, but my point is that I wouldn't add 200Mb of stuff to my 8Gb SSD just to run a 200-line to-do app written in C-sharp :)

kevin, Sep 25, 2008
  12. vautrin44

RockDoctor

Won't orage do this? It's the standard calendaring app for the XFCE DE.

RockDoctor, Sep 25, 2008
  13. vautrin44

kevin

If it can, it's not obvious to me how to get access to that facility.

kevin, Sep 25, 2008
  14. vautrin44

vautrin44

Right now, and thanks to your suggestions, I'm using Mozilla Sunbird and MobileMe on WINE through Firefox 3. Which one I will continue using will depend on the PDA I will use.

vautrin44, Sep 27, 2008
  15. vautrin44

ensoph

i searched on the repo and couldn't find sunbird. where can i get it from?

thanks!

ensoph, Oct 1, 2008
  16. vautrin44

admin_one

it's from mozilla ; you can search for something like "mozilla sunbird" and get there from here...

admin_one, Oct 1, 2008
  17. vautrin44

ensoph

i did search both "mozilla sunbird" and "sunbird" to no avail...help please!

ensoph, Oct 1, 2008
  18. vautrin44

kevin

I think the previous post meant to search using Google, or something like that. I'd be absolutely gobsmacked if the right site didn't turn up if you put that phrase into Google.

kevin, Oct 1, 2008
  19. vautrin44

ensoph

yes, I was referring to installing it from the repo. i couldn't find it there. nor i was able to do a "sudo yum install sunbird". i got some error messages when connecting to the repos.

does anyone know if the .tar file available for download from the mozilla site will work on the A1 (linpus lite f8 core)? if not, where can i find a version that will?
    sorry, newbie here

thanks...

ensoph, Oct 1, 2008
  20. vautrin44

admin_one

I believe there's an 'rpm' on the sunbird download page that has something like 'fc7' in the name; that's a fedora core rpm, or install file. I think that's how I installed it. Works perfect.

admin_one, Oct 1, 2008
Ask a Question