I have done a system restore

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Guest, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

because i had messed up my usb auto mount i have done a system restore like this
    inserted a usb pen drive in my windows laptop
    put the recovery cd in the drive rebooted the windows laptop
    you get a menu select make a recovery usbdrive
    after about 12mins you get finished message remove disk before reboot i removed the cd and the usb pendrive and the windows laptop rebooted into windows.
    inserted the usbpendrive into the linpus acer turned it on and pressed [F12] at the prompt and selected boot from usb after about 12 mins you get the message remove disc before rebooting
    you then have to do a live update as the recovery cd is out of date but i had no problems with either machine during this process

mike46

Guest, Feb 2, 2009
  2. Guest

poor1

I take it you are putting the Linux Recovery disc for the AA1onto a USB Memory Stick, using a Windows laptop with an CD/DVD optical drive to save the information on the Linux Recovery Disc onto the USB Memory Stick and then transferring the information to the Acer AA1.

What capacity is the Memory Stick.

With there not being a DVD/CD on the AA1 this is very useful information, if I have understood you correctly.

poor1, Feb 3, 2009
  3. Guest

Carrera

I cannot boot up with the USB and my transfer time for making the USB is only 6 minutes on an ASUS laptop. I do not get any choice of partition when I try loading the USB into the AAO. I get the first question about loading from the USB port OK, but then everything stops. This software is not functioning! :x ... Most probably the worst buy I did since I got my first computer in -83....

Carrera, Feb 4, 2009
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

yes that is correct i used a sandisc cruzer formatted to fat32 it was a 4GB but it shows 2.4GB free of 3.7GB so a 2 GB should be big enough
    you need to select [F2] as you boot the AA1 and select boot from USB then reboot with the recovery USB stick in a USB socket and press [F12] and arrow down to get boot from USB whatever your USB stick is called

mike46

Guest, Feb 4, 2009
  5. Guest

Guest Guest

You have to boot a WINDOWS computer with the recovery cd in the drive and it will then start the windows computer as if it is a AA1 and transfer the recovery information onto the USB stick FOLLOW the on screen instructions and all will be good

mike46

Guest, Feb 4, 2009
  6. Guest

poor1

many thanks Mike

poor1, Feb 4, 2009
  7. Guest

ronime

It doesn't have to be a Windows computer. It can be any computer that can boot from a DVD and has a spare USB port to create the recovery stick.

ronime, Feb 11, 2009
  8. Guest

Guest Guest

ok then perhaps you know best but people had been saying it didnot work and when i did it with my windows laptop it worked which is why i said that
    but you have to boot the computer with the usb key and the cd in the drive to make a usb recovery disk

mike46

Guest, Feb 11, 2009
  9. Guest

ronime

Typically Windows is on the hard disk. When you boot from the recovery DVD you completely bypass the hard disk. You could have Solaris, Linux or OSX on your hard disk, or even no hard disk at all and it would not matter.

You are right about having the USB key inserted at startup though. I was struggling for a good while last night wondering why my empty 2GB USB stick apparently did not have "enough free space" to create a Linpus recovery image, until I rebooted with the USB stick in place...

ronime, Feb 11, 2009
  10. Guest

Guest Guest

ok then i just told what i had done to get a recovery usb and i have since downloaded aa1backup and done a full backup as it is now rather than as it was when it was supplied as new
    I wonder if you are good enough with linpus to help me do a update on my Tom Tom sat nav

mike 46

Guest, Feb 13, 2009
  11. Guest

ronime

I'm mainly a Windows XP and Garmin user, but I do have a great deal of Gentoo Linux and Solaris experience that may be useful.

If you PM me or drop a post into one of the Linux/Linpus boards describing what you are trying to achieve with your TomTom then I am sure that someone will be able to help.

ronime, Feb 13, 2009
Ask a Question