I cant decide what type of Laptop?!

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Marche, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Marche

Marche

I've been looking at the AA1 for a quite a while now and finally got around to ordering one just the other day. Now today I find this laptop the Medion Akoya Mini for exactly the same price of the AA1 except it has a 10" screen and a free USB Bluetooth connection.

This is the AA1 I will be getting:
    http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/7976968/A ... oduct.html

And this is the Akoya Mini that I found:
    http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_8207.htm

I know that we are an AA1 forum here so please try not to be biased too much...

Which one do you recommend that I buy. The Akoya Mini or the Aspire One?

Marche, Dec 8, 2008
  2. Marche

rory

It's not for us to say get this or get that. We all decided too buy the One. You clearly think the medion is better value for money so buy that. I'm pretty sure it's a rebadged msi wind btw. (A quick google confirms this)
    Rory

rory, Dec 8, 2008
  3. Marche

info

Go to Amazon and read the reviews of the AAO. There is a lot more to a machine than a couple of specs which may appear better on the spur of the moment. That will never end. The AAO has been subjected to intense testing and more people who have purchased it are coming out more satisfied than any other machine out there. Having said that, these machines are being improved every day. Of course, as rory said, you must make your own decision (and live with it).

Good Luck!

info, Dec 8, 2008
  4. Marche

highvista

A few random thoughts. The MSI Wind (and it's clones, I'd imagine) are well-liked, but they are known to have a non-Synaptics mouse that doesn't have the full range of tap and scroll options of the Synaptics mouse, which the AAO has. Also, a micro-Bluetooth adapter from eBay or Amazon can be had for around $5.00 US. And, one thing that's often overlooked is that the AAO has two card readers. The dedicated SD card reader on the left side is such that the card is nearly flush with the body of the AAO when it's inserted. This is great for allowing you to keep a card in the slot at all times, and still have the second card reader available on the right side.

highvista, Dec 8, 2008
  5. Marche

rick

I was going to get an MSI Wind.

Then I started reading about it. The fiascos surrounding the parts, shipping dates, and build quality is crazy. The AAO is solid, reliable, and a damned good machine.

AAO ftw.

rick, Dec 12, 2008
  6. Marche

RockDoctor

The best advice I can give is try before you buy. Apparently this wasn't possible in your case. Whatever you buy will be supplanted by a more feature-rich and/or less-expensive model within a time frame guaranteed to give you at least a twinge of buyer's remorse. Consider that the AA1 is emerging as the best of the breed at this time and go on from there. FWIW, I bought my AOA150-1570 (120GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 3-cell) a week before Acer lowered it price by $50.

RockDoctor, Dec 13, 2008
Ask a Question