I can see my wifi network but can't connect!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Hamza, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Hamza

Hamza

Hi folks,

Just bought my linux-flavour A110 today and wifi's not working. I know there's loads of ppl having probs with this but not sure they're the same as mine. I can *see* the network but it just won't connect. I've got a netgear router, and plugging it into the wired network and running live update was the first thing I did when I got it out of the box, so I'm not sure if the update broke what was originally working.

I've tried rebooting loads of times, and switching on/off wlan loads of times but it's not playing ball.

Is this the same problem everyone else is getting, or is there something I can do to fix this?

TIA,
    Hamza

Hamza, Aug 24, 2008
  2. Hamza

IMSancho

Are you running any sort of encryption on your router? As long as you are comfortable with modifying system files on your One (and are able to do a restore if things go wrong) you could try upgrading NetworkManager, a couple of ways to do this are talked about in this thread.

IMSancho, Aug 25, 2008
  3. Hamza

Hamza

I've tried setting the router (and aspire one) to WEP, WPA and unsecured but it makes no difference. AFAIK there is no other encryption set on the router (MAC address restrictions etc) and the router config is pretty much out-of-the-box.

No probs with messing around with config files, i'll give that a shot, thanks.

Cheers,
    Hamza

Hamza, Aug 25, 2008
  4. Hamza

Hamza

I updated Network Manager to 0.7.0, but it hasn't made any difference to the wifi. Where are the connection log files on this thing? They may hold some clues as to what's going on.

Hamza, Aug 25, 2008
  5. Hamza

Hamza

Hey hey it's working.

Connected my Acer to another Access Point (Belkin) and worked like a dream with no fuss. So I just reset my Netgear DG834G to its factory settings and started over again and it now works. There must have been some silly setting getting in the way. Wonder what I've broken now :)

So now I can happily surf from anywhere in the house, and I'm looking forward to experiencing the *real* wifi problem that everyone else has....

Cheers,
    Hamza

Hamza, Aug 25, 2008
Ask a Question