Hydrogen - Audacity - Audio lag

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Toma, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Toma

Toma

Ive got some issues. As a musician, I really hoped the AA1 could at least do some simple multitracking and drum loop creating. Sadly, Ive been cut short. Audacity fails to even do 2 tracks and Hydrogen is horrible at keeping time. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this? Ive tried Jack, Alsa and trying to change the settings of them both havent yeilded any better results.

Toma, Aug 28, 2008
  2. Toma

MusicMeister

Which model of the AA1 do you have? and are you using the stock configuration?

I'll do some testing shortly and let you know if I find a solution...

MusicMeister, Aug 28, 2008
  3. Toma

Toma

Acer A110 ZG5 with stock Linpus. Ive gained a little more knowledge on the hardware and seems that the XRUNS are caused by a slow audio processor and needs at least 3 periods in jack. But for some reason jack is doing all sorts of nasty when running it with "jackd -d alsa -n 3"

Toma, Aug 29, 2008
  4. Toma

sideways

Try installing qjackctl to make configuration easier:
    Code:
    sudo yum install qjackctl
    In qjackctl Setup uncheck realtime,and try setting Frames/Period to 512, Periods/Buffer to 6 (This will give a 64msec latency which is probably the best you'll get)

The Aspire One linpus lite is missing so many kernel modules it makes audio and midi a real pain, I haven't been able to get it to work yet.

I will be upgrading to Fedora 10 later this year once it is stable.

sideways, Aug 29, 2008
  5. Toma

Phil_Urich

I actually picked up my own AA1 for a very similar purpose, however I only did so less than 24 hours ago so I haven't had much time to tinker (and won't tonight). A few thoughts occur to me, though.

Firstly, with my bulkier and noisier laptop (although I'm going to have to do something about the high-pitched whine on the AA1...but that's another problem) it was absolutely essential to run a realtime kernel. I've never really used anything other than debian-based distros however (aside from some tinkering with SLAX) so I can't say I know precisely how to do that, but I suspect/hope it'd be relatively painless.

I'll see what I can figure out and get back to ya, and maybe in the meantime someone who actually knows what they're doing will chime in ;)

Phil_Urich, Aug 29, 2008
  6. Toma

Toma

Yeh im considering dropping a realtime kernel in there. Would rather not, but if its going to be the solution, itll be worthwhile.

Toma, Aug 29, 2008
  7. Toma

madvikins

Hi there -Im trying to do simular things with my AA1 Linpus (rosegarden, qjackctl) but I cannot even connect with jack -
    I think I have , in desperation, changed too many things in Jack setup...
    ...wheres the soundcard? :cry:

madvikins, Aug 29, 2008
  8. Toma

Phil_Urich

Which driver and which interface are you using? For me with alsa, /dev/dsp won't work but hw:0 works fine as the interface. Or at least, it runs, haven't done anything with it yet, heh. I'm not expecting much out of the stock soundcard, I'll probably first try to get my M-Audio Transit to work and *then* maybe worry about how much I can squeeze out of the onboard if need be. But for me a Periods/Buffer of 6 and Frames/Period of 512, along with alsa as the driver and hw:0 as the interface, seems to have Jack connecting fine. Again though I haven't tried anything more than that (downloading Rosegarden right now, heh).

Edit: skipped fiddling with Rosegarden for now and just installed ZynAddSubFX, connected it to the alsa_pcm out and it works! Well, it has its issues but I expected that with the non-realtime kernel and the undoubtably far-from-high-end stock soundcard in the AA1. So umm no solutions there from me, but something to try if you can get jackctl to start the server, madvikins (I'm curious to see if you can get that running again).

Phil_Urich, Aug 29, 2008
  9. Toma

sideways

I finally managed to get vkeybd and qsynth working together using qjackctl. I had no audio originally but after installling v4l-dvb (see Hauppauge Nova thread) it seems to work, so I'm guessing some audio kernel module is missing from the default Linpus Lite.

I found the best setting in qjackctl to be

NO realtime (uncheck the box)
    Force 16bit
    Frames/Period 1024
    Sample Rate 48000
    Periods/Buffer 4
    Interface hw:0

This gives an audio latency of 85.3 msec which is just about acceptable for casual use.

I'll try rosegarden later.

sideways, Aug 29, 2008
  10. Toma

Toma

Thats great sideways. Thanks! :D
    Hydrogen works great and I didnt get any XRUNs at all from whats I could see! Woohoo! Time to test Audacity :)

Edit: Audacity works flawlessly. I can record 3 tracks with no problems using my cruddy 3/4" > 3.5mm jack to guitar setup. One issue tho is the huge amount of noise on the mic port. Its really nasty. Im going to try to make a little USB powered preamp for it some day soon and see how that sounds.

Toma, Aug 30, 2008
  11. Toma

madvikins

Hi again - No solutions yet -I dont want audio. I just want to connect rosegarden via my m-audio-Uno to my Roland workstation and use the internal sounds there(I dont think aspire one can handle synth-plugins, effects etc in a good way)
    I heard about "midi-jack" or something: Im searching now -I cannot make jack run...

madvikins, Sep 5, 2008
  12. Toma

Winfried

This you both wrote in 2008; is there any news, how to make music on the AA1 with Linux in an easy way. I want to use the synthi ZynAddSub FX; it is included in the Linpus package. However, it does not work; and I don't know how to connect it to alsa_pcm out. The connection window of qjackctl does not list neither ZynAddSubFX nor als_pcm. So: how do I get tutorial information on audio with Linux today 2009.
    Hope for help

Winfried

Winfried, Jul 31, 2009
Ask a Question