HUGE XP install Issues

Discussion in 'Windows' started by BaRTiMuS, Aug 9, 2008.

1. BaRTiMuS

BaRTiMuS

- Installing from an external usb cd rom, boots fine, does all the dos type tasks fine (formats/copies files/etc)
    - I am formatting the HD to fat32
    - When it gets to the GUI type install where it shows you remaining time etc, it has issues getting certain files off of the CD rom it is looking for them in "Cdrom0\i386" there is about 15-25 files like this. I simply change it do d:\i386 and the install continues.
    - Everything appears to work fine.
    - I boot into windows, I log in, and first thing off the bat i get a prompt looking for "battery install software" then when i cancel it, i get the new device wizard looking for battery drivers. There are two of these "battery" devices.
    - I noticed themes are not enabled because it starts with windows classic. I go to services.msc and see that all but about 3 or 4 services are not started, alot of them are on manual and some are disabled. I can manually start some of these services to get some things going, but a lot of things dont work, i install the wlan/lan drivers and they dont show up in "network connections" I enable a few services and they show up, but i still cant get an IP or see any wireless networks.
    - After a restart, any services I started are not started any more.

I have tried:
    Windows XP SP2 (Nlite, previously used on an Eepc without issues)
    Windows XP SP3 (Nlite)
    Windows XP SP3 (Full)

All with the same result.

WTF IS GOING ON???????

Can anyone help??

BaRTiMuS, Aug 9, 2008
  2. BaRTiMuS

BaRTiMuS

Turned out to be the extra GB of ram that I put in there. It was causing all sorts of issues. I pulled the Ram and windows installed on 512mb with absolutely no issues.

BaRTiMuS, Aug 9, 2008
  3. BaRTiMuS

Guest Guest

that's pretty strange...were you running the latest bios? unless the stick was dodgy, it seems that the aspire one is pretty picky with regards to the RAM that you feed it :(.

Guest, Aug 9, 2008
  4. BaRTiMuS

BaRTiMuS

After some testing i realized that it wasnt the ram.. i just got lucky installing it without the ram.. something is up with this computer.. Vista installed fine.. I think maybe the XP install does not have the proper drivers for the SSD and its causing corruption etc.

BaRTiMuS, Aug 9, 2008
  5. BaRTiMuS

Anbert

Man, i tried 5 different setups and got the same issues mentioned here... And no IE7 WMP11 and WiFi. I only have a installation of Micro XP where i can get wifi to work. I installed a 1gb module but not planning to remove it... If i find out more I lett you know.

Anbert, Sep 2, 2008
  6. BaRTiMuS

Achilles

Soemone I can't see how the addition of extra memory can cause problems with the installation of Win?XP (or any other OS for that matter). Normally at start up the memory will be checked (although I think it is possible to skip this step by doing a fast boot). If it is working there should be no issues. If it is not then your machine will crash big time.

Also I don't think that the version of Bios that you have will make a difference in setting up the OS (or running any other software for that matter).

If you are having problems have you tried running the repair console (I am not sure if this is the right name). Anyway this is sometimes able to identify things that are missing from the original installation.

Otherwise can you try doing a clean install of Win/XP from the orignal version with SP2 if that is included in the disk (are there XP installations iuncluding SP3 as MS have only just released this?). I spent some time messing about with using slipstream to add in SP3. I had problems with the installation and went back and put the original XP/pro disk with SP2 on a bootable USB stick. When I tried this the installation went like a dream and I was up and running in less than an hour.

Achilles, Sep 2, 2008
  7. BaRTiMuS

goofball

Quite common actually, to see incompatible/faulty ram cause installation issues with OS'es. Typically, the first sign is when there are prompts for missing files yet the files are definitely there on the installation media.

goofball, Sep 2, 2008
  8. BaRTiMuS

Anbert

Then something must be wrong with my external DVD. I installed using an USB Pendrive without problems... I'll recommend this as a sollution for now. Maybe using an external DVD is the problem?

Anbert, Sep 3, 2008
Ask a Question