HUB USB - connection to "missing" miniPCI connector.

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by melhiore, Sep 3, 2008.

1. melhiore

melhiore

Hello - that's my firs post on this forum.

I'm planning to buy AA1 after couple of weeks of comparing Eee PC with AA1. Finally I decided to buy Acer due to couple of better solutions integrated within this small and pretty PC.

My question is simple I believe. I'm planning to do some mods. One of them will be USB HUB. I'm planning to use some connections from "missing" miniPCI for 3G modem. To this HUB I'm planning to connect: Bluetoooth, 3G stick from Vodafone or 3, TouchScreen controller and extra memory - I've got 16GB pendrive which I'm not using at the moment... Do I need any super special preparations or just solder cables to contacts and enjoy?? In couple of topics I've seen similar mod and maybe I'm lucky.

Second question is bit weird: If I will solder extra cabling to the back of existing USB connectors, will I "loose" them - I mean block them somehow from use with another USB device when HUB will be active/powered.

Waiting for your opinions guys!

melhiore, Sep 3, 2008
  2. melhiore

ipearl

Yeah i was thinking that also.
    If any of these un-used 3G and PCI-E carry USB signal.

ipearl, Sep 3, 2008
  3. melhiore

melhiore

According to this topic: http://www.aspireoneuser.com/2008/08/17 ... bluetooth/ the answer should be yes - there is USB signal - this BT module uses exactly the same contacts. I was thinking about using free contacts from other miniPCI - this one prepared for 3G extension... If I can do that there will be no problem with soldering anything to one which is already working...

melhiore, Sep 3, 2008
  4. melhiore

Jazzle

Exactly my idea, as there is no pcie connector ( :cry: ) I want to take an usb 3g modem and solder it to the usb connections in that pcie slot, and put the usb modem in the provided space.

Jazzle, Sep 3, 2008
  5. melhiore

melhiore

OK - I found another clue :)

http://www.interfacebus.com/Mini_PCI_Express_Bus.html#e - miniPCI pin chart. That means I can solder USB HUB to pins 36&38 and take the power from switched +5V point...

Now I'm wondering about position of power ON/OFF switch for 3G modem and Bluetooth...

melhiore, Sep 4, 2008
  6. melhiore

rory

if you solder to a usb port, it will screw up. basically, unless you totally unsolder the port, it draws too much current, and the os notices and doesnt like it. i soldered my bluetooth usb to one of the ports to test my soldering skills, and it worked, but os x asked me about why one of the ports was drawing too much voltage.
    Also, i think it will get confused, because hubs aren't the same principle as extension leads for the mains, whereby the extra sockets are literally just all attached to teh same lead, no computing involved. usb hubs have a chip that i would guess tells the ppc that its a hub, so to ignore the extra voltage, and also the port on the board can only have one device attached at a time, and a hub with 4 ports still only counts as one device.

also, great idea.
    could lead to having a setup like this guy on the eee forums where he has 2 ports under the removable slot on the base of the device, and these have a usb stick in each. so kindof a hidden external usb port.

rory, Sep 4, 2008
  7. melhiore

melhiore

That's why I prefer to solder USB HUB to miniPCI, GND somewhere and +5V taken from switched voltage point and in addition install ON/OFF switch purely to prevent continuous power drainage. It will be the same way like this picture showing but on another miniPCI.

This image showing connection points: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tnkgrl/276 ... 718788110/

After your OS problems I'm not going to use USB connector as soldering points for the HUB, I want damage or block anything from normal use. I hope it's gonna work well, if not I will look to take power straight from battery if I can...

melhiore, Sep 4, 2008
  8. melhiore

fletch33

please keep this post up to date and if anyone figures out the best solution for this can you please right a guide and what parts you used and where you got them.

thanks i am considering the internal usb ports as well rather than adding a PCIe slot for my 3G. not sure which i am going to go. most likely the tested and easiest route :)

fletch33, Sep 4, 2008
  9. melhiore

melhiore

Easiest way probably will be soldering connectors to unused miniPCI connector and use of switched +5V from the black thing on the motherboard :) 3G modem will be installed in different way then I do not need this any longer. I'm going through all the websites I can find anyway but looks like I already have best solution...

After assembling and testing I will post relation on this forum - at the moment I'm waiting for my AA1...

melhiore, Sep 4, 2008
  10. melhiore

ipearl

in other words you advising to connect the USB cables to the USB inputs but use the power from another source of the mobo ?

ipearl, Sep 4, 2008
  11. melhiore

melhiore

Yes. Purely because current taken from USB may be to low for powering HUB with 3 devices (Bluetooth, 3G modem, Pen drive) and also I'm not 100% sure soldering to existing USB connector is not going to change/damage its functionality by "blocking" USB port somehow. On top of that I've found information that soldering to 36&38 pin of miniPCI will not change anything regarding USB connectors within AA1 - don't remember where I found it but this suggestion came from someone doing mods on Acer for sure...

melhiore, Sep 4, 2008
  12. melhiore

ipearl

So by not enough power you men for a hub with 3 devices.

[​IMG]

What about one of this one. Its a 1.8" HD Controller for USB used as a External storage.
    I will try to hook up the orignal 8Gig SSD to it see if it can control it.
    and i was plannin to stuff that into the back PCIE tray for removable SSD addon.

This middle device should act like a USB hub right ?

ipearl, Sep 4, 2008
  13. melhiore

melhiore

Yes.

Chip in the middle is probably protocol converter which is changing ZIF to USB only - in that case this unit suppose to work as a HDD reader but only in client mode. HUB is working more like host for more devices - this one works more like "PenDrive" with HDD inside :)

If you'll try to stick original SSD to it I would say it will work IMHO.

melhiore, Sep 4, 2008
  14. melhiore

ipearl

Do you think the miniPCI-E has enough power to run one of this thing with a SSD instead a HD? Tapped straight from the miniPCI-e ?

ipearl, Sep 4, 2008
  15. melhiore

melhiore

miniPCI connector does not have +5V, that's why you have to connect power from somewhere else. My HUB USB will be powered from one of the component on motherboard and I believe you should do the same for you SSD...

melhiore, Sep 4, 2008
  16. melhiore

ipearl

Bummer for some reason that USB Controller I took apart for the HD doesnt accept the SSD or i cant make a good connection due to the Cable being to thin.
    So i disbanded that project.

=( Do you maybe know if there is a SSD controller to USB small enough to fit in there for a mod ?

ipearl, Sep 6, 2008
  17. melhiore

elBradford

It appears no one has done this yet. Anyone have a success story?

elBradford, Sep 12, 2008
  18. melhiore

ipearl

I am looking for a low powered device that i wanna add onto that port but i dont knwo yet.
    Or just trying to get the PCI-e Slot soldered back and add Asus SSD to it.

ipearl, Sep 12, 2008
Ask a Question