HP LAPTOP- SPACE ISSUES

Discussion in 'Storage' started by KO6153, Jan 20, 2016.

1. KO6153

KO6153

So I was in a rush to buy a laptop a few months ago, and usually I do about two week-loads of homework on the item I am planning to be before doing so. Alas, this time I did zero research and bought a laptop with 21.3 GB :mad: I know bad... And then as the weeks go by I look at my other devices, my computer had 912 Gigs, My Brother's Laptop had 200 Gigs,even my phone had more space than my laptop!

After a week of complaining, my mom brought up this thing you could purchase at Best Buy that would expand the amount of space on your computer. Can anyone give me more information on exactly what it is and its exact functions besides the obvious?
    Thankss :)

KO6153, Jan 20, 2016
  2. KO6153

something back

Please include your make, and model

Most models you can easily fit a larger internal hard drive.

You can also use a external hard drive for storing your work on.

something back, Jan 20, 2016
  3. KO6153

djtech

Yeah. Simpy use a bigger internal HDD. Maybe your's has an SSD, I don't know. Also, you may use an external HDD or make full use of the cloud.

djtech, Jan 27, 2016
  4. KO6153

PingPongCall

Using a larger HDD is the obvious answer, but you should also consider using a network of external hard drives.

PingPongCall, Jan 29, 2016
  5. KO6153

IBMPC8088

The market is trying to push out a lot of substandard equipment now that they think the consumer will still buy. Mostly, they push out scaled down netbooks for an attractive price tag, but don't tell people they can't upgrade the ram or change the battery out because it's soldered to the board. The hard drive on these are usually 32GB SSD drives if you're lucky, or 32GB flash cards of another variety. About half of them can be upgraded or are interchangeable, while the other half are not. Always research the equipment and hardware before you buy it. If you have a larger size drive and storage capacity available on the unit you're buying, the chances are good that it's a more versatile system just to be able to support those higher specs. Usually anything with a higher storage capacity is going to be a 5200 RPM magnetic drive still, while the lower capacity ones are going to be SSD.

You trade speed of access and performance for storage space when you buy the ones with smaller SSD hard drives, and you don't have to worry about any moving parts or defragmentation like you did before. The magnetic drives give you dozens of times more storage though for about the same price as the small SSD drives they're pushing on most systems. So if you have the option to get one with a large capacity magnetic drive, you can always turn that into an external drive, and replace it with an SSD that you purchase since there are larger SSD drives (240GB, 512GB on up and they become cheaper every month).

Eventually, this will change and most of your systems will come with SSD drives that have a capacity closer to your brother's computer and your other system. The industry trend to make things harder to upgrade and replace or impossible will continue except for select models. Just be on your toes about what model you get, and whether or not you can service or upgrade it for the future. Most of them are going to try and make that impossible or impractical because they think if they make your major investment disposable, that you'll magically have money out of thin air to buy another device just like it from them. They're going to see a major drop in sales when that happens and learn the hard way from the public, but until that time you should know how and why they are doing this so you don't fall into their trap of reduced hardware for sale as "new items".

IBMPC8088, Feb 2, 2016
  6. KO6153

vinaya

I have 240 GB on my laptop,I think this is enough storage for the kind of work I do in my laptop. I also have an external hard disk which as storage capacity of 1 TB. You should always consider storage a main feature when you buy laptop.

vinaya, Feb 7, 2016
  7. KO6153

Pablo Diaz

I'll give you an advice: always do your research before buying a product. You never want to go into a store not knowing exactly what product you want to buy, Don't thrust the sales people at your local Best Buy as they most likely want to sell you the most expensive thing (remember that expensive doesn't mean good every time)

And now I'll give you recommendations. You can (And I think it's the most reasonable solution) buy an external HDD. This is a drive that you simply plug into the USB port of your laptop and you can store all of your data in there. You can also buy an internal HDD if your laptop allows for them, but you will have to do your research beforehand, as not every laptop can support another internal hard drive. Also, you'll need to be tech-savvy to be able to install it. Good luck!

Pablo Diaz, Feb 20, 2016
  8. KO6153

vinaya

I think using external hard disk drive is the best solution when you are having storage issue with your laptop. How about getting 2 TB storage device. It does not cost much.

vinaya, Feb 20, 2016
  9. KO6153

Corzhens

This is a good suggestion. However, an external hard drive is very slow compared to the internal. Besides, the virtual memory (used for running big softwares such as the Windows operating system) uses a part o the internal hard disk so when the internal hard disk is that small (21.3 GB), the speed is affected. If I were you, I would install a larger internal hard disk to make your laptop run in the normal speed. And with that 2TB, it is a good add on for the archiving.

Corzhens, Feb 21, 2016
Ask a Question