HP Laptop seems to only boot on certain conditions

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by furesuka, Oct 6, 2020.

1. furesuka

furesuka

OS: elementary OS 5.1.7 Hera (Built on Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS; Linux 5.4.0-48-generic)
    HP Pavilion DV6 6171TX

This might be a weird one but my laptop does have this problem that it only boots only on two certain conditions. If the conditions aren't met (which I'll call unmet condition phase) then the screen doesn't turn on, but the backlight of the touchpad, charger and HDD indicators and keyboard indicators does seem to be functioning normally and it stays like that.

Here are the conditions I must meet for it to boot successfully:
    • Laptop has been turned off for at least 3 hours; it is only a slight chance that it will boot successfully.
    • Laptop is left on "unmet condition phase" for atleast 30 MINUTES, then I turn it off and on quickly to see if it'll boot. Slight chance it'll fail.
    As you can see, the laptop only likes to boot when the temperature is normal when it is not used for 3 hours, or when it is very hot when left on "unmet condition phase" for 30 minutes. It definitely is a hardware problem.

Here are maybe some useful information about the laptop:
    • This laptop is very old and left in the house unused for maybe more than 3 years, got fixed and used again for my online classes.
    • This problem was present back when I used it again and had Windows 7, continued to have it when I switched to Linux.
    • It didn't have a hardware change before, atleast from what I know.
    • I definitely has no malware on it.
    • I didn't do anything about it before until now.

furesuka, Oct 6, 2020
Ask a Question