HP is the largest-selling laptop

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by Corzhens, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens

I attended a product presentation of HP last night. I brought along my husband and he was enamored with the desktop mini of HP. An interesting is the note that said one HP computer is sold every second. Wow, that's an incredible feat. By the way, their laptops have that self-healing BIOS which when changed by a suspected virus, the BIOS can restore itself to the original version.

This is not an advertisement for HP, just my contribution for added information.

Corzhens, Apr 29, 2016
    cluckeyo and nytegeek like this.
  2. Corzhens

SirJoe

SirJoe, May 6, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  3. Corzhens

rz3300

One HP a second does not really seem to make sense. That would be way too may computers out there right? Now that I do the math a little bit I guess it is not as crazy as I thought as first when you think about the whole population, but it still seems a little strong. Either way I am sure that they are doing just fine.

rz3300, May 7, 2016
  4. Corzhens

fcuco

Nah, that's obviously a click bait site, if you want to know the numbers you go to something like the IDC (The international data corporation). For the first quarter of 2015 almost 70 million PCs were sold, HP has a market share of about 20% of that. I think total PCs sales are close to 150 million yearly (all types, not just laptops), so 30 million of those are HP more or less, the year has, roughly, 31 million seconds so the numbers match.

Crazy, isn't it? But a HP machine is really sold every second, the whole thing is even a little overwhelming.

fcuco, May 7, 2016
    Vash and nytegeek like this.
  5. Corzhens

nytegeek

Yeah, after checking several sources Apple ranks 6th or 7th on the list with Sony usually being around 10th. That link is total crap, don't believe it. HP and Lenovo are usually the best selling brands worldwide with Acer and Asus close on their tails.

nytegeek, May 7, 2016
    Vash likes this.
  6. Corzhens

OursIsTheFury

Huh, that is an interesting factoid. If there was a betting on which brand of laptop is the most popular, I would have gone with a MacBook, as those things really sell like hotcakes these days. Every coffee shop, every classroom, every seminar, you can always spot the ones with these laptops because of the iconic Apple logo beaming in front of them. I never really found the appeal of these laptops though, and when I buy one, I would gladly just buy a good Windows laptop that can handle high end games, and leave all these logos and trademarks at the door.

OursIsTheFury, May 8, 2016
  7. Corzhens

SirJoe

i just did I quick search and found this site, normally I have a habit of looking at more than one source. Thanks for posting your finds. I am surprised by Lenovo though. I do have a Lenovo but it's not the most sold computer where I'm from, not by a long shot. It would probably rank 7th or 8th.

SirJoe, May 10, 2016
  8. Corzhens

nytegeek

Yes, I was looking at world wide stats, not regional, so it very well could be different where you live.

nytegeek, May 11, 2016
  9. Corzhens

IcyBC

That is interesting, and the debate in the comments between users above is even more interesting. I was a loyal HP user until both of my laptops died because of the overheating problem. Now, I am staying clear of it, and I wouldn't suggest it to anyone if asked. Unless things have improved for HP products, but that fear will stay with me for a while.

IcyBC, May 12, 2016
  10. Corzhens

nytegeek

You just had bad luck or bought models known for issues. Every manufacturer has put out 1 or 2 models with heating issues, HP is no better or worse there. I have an HP and it doesn't over heat. In fact I have an older one and a new one, no heat issues with either.

nytegeek, May 12, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  11. Corzhens

gmckeebiz

I've owned a HP laptop before and I wasn't very impressed with it. Of course it was on the lower end of what they offer, only paid a couple hundred bucks for it, but I wasn't impressed. Seemed really slow compared to my MacBook. That's what I own now and I couldn't be happier with it. Never had any problems with it. No viruses. It's incredibly quick and the screen resolution is fantastic. The best of the Windows based laptops I've owned was definitely Dell. I've owned a couple of those and they are really solid computers.

gmckeebiz, May 14, 2016
  12. Corzhens

nytegeek

Have you done a scan to be sure you haven't been affected by any malware? If you haven't you don't know. Unless you have never used it online or transfer ed any files to it that is. Contrary to popular belief, Apple products are not impervious to malware.

nytegeek, May 15, 2016
  13. Corzhens

TessV

Interesting to know. I've never owned a HP computer, but I used to be fiercely loyal to their printers. That changed a bit a couple of years ago when I got an absolute pile of junk HP printer and had a super miserable time getting it taken care of under the warranty. A quick Google search of the model number and error showed that quite a few people had an issue with that particular model. Things happen, electronics fail, and that in itself wasn't such a big deal, it was the huge hassle it took to finally get it replaced that put me off. I'm using a Canon printer right now and I'm reasonably happy with it, but may give HP a shot again once the bad taste is completely out of my mouth. I know that laptops =/= printers, but the problems with the warranty service really made me hesitant to buy anything from them.

TessV, May 15, 2016
  14. Corzhens

filmjunkie08

I am so glad you shared your information from the presentation with us. Unlike some of the posts above, I am not a fan of the Mac. I have a Gateway but my son had an HP for school at one point. I used it to see how different it was from my Gateway. I have to say I like the HP better than my Gateway laptop,

filmjunkie08, May 25, 2016
  15. Corzhens

Vash

Your link is bogus. Sorry.

The top market share holders in laptop sector are HP and Lenovo. Both of them have around 20% of the laptop market. Apple's market share in laptop is less than half of the top two manufacturers.

As for someone who mentioned Sony, they quit the laptop market in 2013 or 2014. I guess it was no longer profitable for them since Sony is doing poorly on most fronts these days.

Vash, May 26, 2016
  16. Corzhens

SirJoe

This is the link I found, but I'm sure you will be able to find a site that will cater to anyone's taste. I'm not a big Apple fan and I have never owned one of their computers and don't plan on buying one soon.

SirJoe, May 26, 2016
  17. Corzhens

nytegeek

Your link was actually junk, it wasn't a case of other people just finding things to contradict it. It was clearly an opinion piece. It was the authors personal opinion of what was best. It wasn't a ranking of best selling units and didn't have any sources or references to back up the listing.

The rest of us are citing actual sales data. The preponderance of available data and possible sources all put HP in the lead. I would suggest not using the site you linked anymore because they are not giving credible data. They have opinion articles passed off as factual news.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    nytegeek, May 27, 2016
  18. Corzhens

Vash

Well, I have no idea how you found the link. It is obviously not credible at all. The first thing you need to check is actual sales data, or actual market share data. Then, the reference, a credible reference. There is neither. Not only there is no data available, there are also tons of ads everywhere on the page. So we can tell the web site is probably run by someone who just want to make quick money off the ads instead of providing credible information.

Oh, I just went to confirm my theory, and it is true about this "top101news.com" you provided as source.
    Source: whois.arin.net

IP Address: 209.222.99.10 (United States)

Name: RELIABLESITE-NETBLOCK

Handle: NET-209-222-96-0-1

Registration Date: 10/2/15

Range: 209.222.96.0-209.222.111.255

Org: ReliableSite.Net LLC

Org Handle: RL-323

Address: 2115 NW 22nd St

City: Miami

State/Province: FL

Postal Code: 33142

Basically this domain was registered on 10/2/2015. And it is only 7 months old. I wouldn't be surprised if you are the owner of this new web site trying to pass off backlinks. :D No offense though, just please do not continue to call this web site a credible source when it is obviously false.

By the way, here is the real data on the laptop market share in the past a few years.

[​IMG]

Vash, May 30, 2016
  19. Corzhens

cluckeyo

Well, I know one thing, I have an HP printer and it is fabulous! Maybe I will get an HP this time. Are their systems proprietary?

cluckeyo, Jun 1, 2016
  20. Corzhens

nytegeek

What does that have to do with anything? HP printers are often cheap junk that cost less than the ink. Thrift stores and dumps are full of them because it is cheaper to buy a new printer than to replace the ink.

nytegeek, Jun 1, 2016
Ask a Question